Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Baby Betta Questions

Alright so little Nix is cruising through life right now as healthy as a horse and I intend to keep it that way. I want to make sure this development for my little him or her is great and that Nix can become a big healthy betta none like the world has ever seen before. So I have been looking into baby nutrition and I know baby Nix isn't a tiny fry anymore but Nix is still a fry and live food I have found works wonders with them. Nix is currently eating crushed pellets like a pro but it seems live food is beneficial in the nutrition for fry. Now I have also been looking into raising brine shrimp and it's now official. I need brine shrimp eggs, I have all I need set up for them all I need is the eggs, even got the right water and aquarium salt for them, it's sort of brackish water if anything that I have all made up. Does anyone know where I can order brine shrimp eggs with high success ratings on their hatching? I'm going to start feeding babies to Nix as soon as possible.

Also microworms look great, does anyone know where I can get frozen or live microworms or anything like them such as vinegar eels? I'm making a big list of food stuffs for Nix so that my baby gets a good mix of meals with protein for it's tiny growing body.

My other question is now, if I got a 2.5 gallon tank now could I keep two babies together? I don't know if they are from the same spawn but the other tiny baby yesterday looked like the same age as Nix and I am tempted to go back and get the other two babies. How old can babies be together? I know the third is a few weeks older than the other two so I would have it in it's own tank but if i do that I also will need homes for the other two babies if they make it and for when they grow up since I only intend to keep Nix for myself. I really hope those babies are still there and that I can work out something to get them.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

No 2.5 is one betta. Two bettas should never be kept together 3-5 at least females can be kept together but you need a 10 gallon. Males fight a lot and should never be kept together.. Young fish need higher protein to support growth. This is for Betta Splendens.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

I was talking about baby betta's not full grown adults. They would not be together as adults. Nix would get the 2.5 to itself and the second would be held in a temp tank until I found it a new home. As stated above.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

But at 8 weeks they develop fighting and aggression instincts. But a 2.5 gallon for ONE betta is okay the care sounds great.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

Well then I'll see if anyone else can get the other two babies left behind. I currently only have enough heaters for two (in a week) 3 tanks and I'm not getting the 2.5 gallon unless Nix makes it otherwise I might just end up with a small tank I have no real use for.

ANYWAYS

About live food, where do you guys normally get brine shrimp eggs. This might be more of a question for the breeders who feed bbs to their fry. If there is a store you know that sells them or maybe a site that can do overnight shipping?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #6 
babystarz

The danger to housing babies together is that the males secrete a hormone that impedes the growth of any other babies. If you're prepared to do daily water changes it will work, but otherwise wouldn't suggest it and you may still end up with small adult fish.

BBS are probably too small for any baby bought at the pet store to care about much any more. You could buy decapped brine shrimp eggs, which are slightly larger and just as nutritious as freshly hatched BBS. Or you could hatch your own BBS to grow large enough for the babies to see. I usually search for 90% hatch rate baby brine shrimp or artemia eggs on eBay. Some independent LFS also carry them. I would go for a slightly larger worm than micro worms too - grindal worms are perfectly sized for babies who are over a month old and they're also full of protein.

Last edited by babystarz; 09-27-2012 at 07:32 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Plus most likely they are old enough or aggression.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

I already do daily 50-75% water changes because the baby was in a cup with 4.0 ammonia readings when I got it. And then every three days I do a 100% water change. Today I did the first water change only doing 50% for fear Nix would get stressed out but it seems Nix is just fine and half an hour after the water change when I fed him/her s/he ate both the pellets.

I have been feeding crushed pellets since despite the fact Nix can eat them whole I'm afraid of choking still.

Would juvinial brine shrimp be too big for this little one or would that be a good size? I'm looking into grindel worms right now. I don't recall is petco carried them in their freezer. I haven't checked it since I got bloodworms for Aquarius. The only other place with fish around me is Alamo Aquatic Pets which I got my test kits from.

I have also raised brine shrimp before so breeding them for baby food wouldn't be too hard for me, granted last time I had them I had them as pets and not food. Might be hard to feed some of them because they really are such cool animals in all actuality. Would grindle be the only type of worm the baby can have? Also if I cut some bloodworms up could it have those too or is it still too little for bloodworms? I usually feed Aquarius a few on fridays and tomorrow is friday so some worms are getting thawed for him. Could Nix partake in bloodworm Fridays at this age?

Also Chocolate Betta these babies are soooo not old enough. I got into a big bitchfit yesterday with the manager at petco for having these guys. I have seen babies there but they were old enough to have some color to their bodies. These babies aren't even half the size of a dime. The only real color they had was a slight hue to their fins and the rest is all grey but the other one was still white. Looked more like Max the double tail baby from betta pictures who passed away, and the third who was already dead was about the same size as the white one.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 09-27-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

Oh also because the 100% tank cleaning is coming up soon, what is the best way to catch a baby betta without hurting it. I heard some horror stories with fish nets killing them or stressing them out which I want to avoid stress or at least a lot of stress. What is the best way to remove the baby from the tank so I can do that full water change?

I have like 2 gallons worth of treated ater set aside just for the baby too now. I think Aquarius is getting bitchy that he isn't getting all the attention right now.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

the babies at petco are old enough, and have been separated long enough to develop territorial instincts. they are probably more agressive than you think. If you can divide the tank, it might be ok for 3 babies. but you will need to do daily WCs in order to help them grow, due to growth stunting hormones. My baby girl (RIP) grew up in a half gallon with daily water changes.

At this age, they will do fine on nutritious dry and frozen foods. you can feed small amounts 3 or 4 times a day.

water temperature should be 82+ a bit for maximum growth and health.

goodluck with the new kid in the house!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote