Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #1 
harleraven

Cycling a 2.5 gallon?

I just got my 2.5 gallon and want to start cycling it so it'll be ready as soon as possible. I know it can be hard to maintain a cycle in a 2.5 gallon, but I have to at least try, right?

Anyway, I have a community tank already. I have a lot of rocks, silk plants, and other decorations in it. So I was wondering about using them to start the cycle. I can literally just take one of the smaller silk plants, walk it over about ten feet, and plop it into the other tank (so it should not kill the bacteria).

If using this method (if it will work), is there a guide to cycling this way? I did a clean-start, no fish cycle for the community tank and just took water samples to my LFS to get it started. The fish are doing great; active, eating like champs (and trying to convince me they need more than they really do :P ), and playing around in the filter current. So I think I must have done an okay job for my very first tank cycle!
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

You can cycle this way but in a 2.5 you might need to get your test kit because you need to test your water every 2-3 days.
If you load it with libe plants it will help you keep ammonia levels down so the water changes will be less frequent but still a 2.5 will require more water changes than your community tanks.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote