Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #121 
wah543

Yesterday when I came home from school he was completely unresponsive and this morning when I woke up and checked on him he was dead
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #122 
sunlight

oh no so sorry , i though he will pull through. Sorry :(
You will really need to disinfect the tank if you will rescue another betta. So sorry i was waiting for update and thought he is doing fine :( You did everything you can to save him. I believe that sometimes it meant to be. He was happy and felt your love and now may be you can rescue another little life. Sorry for writing it but it exactly what happened to someone else that i just read a post from.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #123 
wah543

Yeah it was just his time I guess, how should I clean the tank though? should I bleach it?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #124 
wah543

And by the way thanks for everything you've helped me with
Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #125 
sunlight

no problem , sorry it didn't work though.
With parasites usually you don't need to use bleach because they die without host. But i just think in case he had something else you can use bleach ( 10% solution) for a minimum of 10 minutes the tank itself. Wash with hot,warm,cold water thoroughly. Put it outside or inside in the sun for a few days to dry it out and neutralize the bleach. Wash it again. That is what i did one time.

I did boiled some rocks before but a few people on the forum saying that it can burst so i am afraid to advice you to do that. But i did it once.

I never disinfect rocks or silky/plastic plants but i can write for you what other people recommending.
Silky plants, they'll want to use BOILING water. And also let it sit in the sun for a few days. Not sure if you can use 50% of the vinegar for silky plants.

50% vinegar, boiling water you can use for plastic plants and rocks. Mix boiling water and vinegar leave for 15 or so minutes,come back and stir, rinse very well with hot tap water, warm,cold water. Must let the cold water cool down the rocks as they retain heat. But i would disinfect the stones ONLY IF they are ''porous'' meaning they don't have holes,or insect made holes(displayed as pin pricks).

Now not sure about heater though. We need to find out on that . Ill be back on it unless someone knows how to do it. I think i wash it one time , i kind of wash it with hand soap and i wash it million times make sure there is no residue left but what i am worry that the top of the heater have hole the electrical wire coming from. So you need to make sure no soap left in there. And again dry it out. And if you have container so you can submerge it completely and let it work it will definitely kill everything.

Be careful when you pick new betta in the store may be wait until they get new shipment.

Last edited by sunlight; 10-16-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #126 
wah543

we just threw out all the gravel in there we got a bunch more, we just put the plastic plants, the heater, and net in the tank and put water and bleach in there and ran the filter without a cartridge so the water keeps flowing, would that be good? and how long should we keep doing it? we did this before I went to class like about 3 hours a go
Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #127 
sunlight

never saw anyone did it with filter. Sorry i would even afraid to use the filter now. Don't use it. Sorry. The same about plastic plants . No one ever on this forum recommended bleach for plastic plants. I would afraid to use it. I am not sure how much of the bleach can plastic absorbs in? The more i am thinking the more i think I understand it actually stupid. I am just thinking if you wash the plastic tank, then you can wash plastic plant actually. I just ask one girl at work she has 1 month old baby she told me that it fine. I am personally never did it and never saw any one recommended though. About heater the same. I never saw anyone recommended to do it with bleach. But it a glass and plastic. Glass will be fine you can wash it. But if it in the tank with running water i would really take it out and wash it million times with hot,warm,cold water and let it stay in the sun light for a few days. Wash it again. Is there a hole on the top of the heater where the wires coming from?

Wait one thing if the heater has rubber on the top then i am not sure about clorax. Do you want me to try to find out?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #128 
sunlight

sure though about filter don't use it. Be careful pick betta at the store wait for new shipment.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #129 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

So sorry to hear you lost your guy...Hugs !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #130 
wah543

The heater has a rubber top but I never put the top under water it always was up out of the water, I rinsed out the tank a bunch of times to make sure there was no bleach left and I left it to dry overnight and all during the morning, and about the filter it's just the plastic piece of it, I threw the filter cartridge out, so it was just the bleach and water running through the plastic piece,

Today we stopped by petco and found this little guy:

Now I just got to clean up and set up the tank for him