Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #1 
Jupiter

Inspiration?

I've been dying to use the 2gal cookie jars they sell at Walmart, even though it's a little pricey...

I've decided to go ahead and buy one for Wintermute next time I have the money for it (he's currently in a temp. 1 gal Critter Keeper).

Just wondering if anyone has pictures of their bowls, jars, and similar setups? I'd like to get some inspiration for decorating mine.

I'm thinking of adding a branch or two and tying some moss to it, adding a moss ball, and using sand as substrate (we have two bags of it at home so I think there'll still be a lot to spare from my 20 gal), and...still need to think of what to do for a hiding spot...I have some spare pots but I'm getting a little tired of those tbh lol.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I do not think many of us keep bettas in jars. Does it have room yo swim, hiding spots, heater, and filter. A 2 gallon or 1 gallon is retry small.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #3 
ZackyBear

I never heard of that before, but I would love to see pictures of what you come up with in the future! :)
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #4 
Leeniex

2gal is fine as long as you can heat it. I've seen them in the store, very cool.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #5 
registereduser

I have one as a temporary holding tank/hospital tank. The glass isn't 100% clear it's a little wavy so taking photos of the fish will be a bit distorted. Finding a cover is hard, I guess some saran wrap would do. You could probably use a sponge filter if you wanted it filtered. I have a pre-set heater sitting in mine it's kind of awkward. There must be a better way to heat.

The jars are pretty and plenty big.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #6 
ZackyBear

There are 5w heaters now :3 one of those should work~
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

^_^ I've done it....

My various jars
3 gal - stil in use

1 gal - now junk food jar

1 Quart
Usually a WC/ temporary holding jar

is now a copepod jar

dropped two fries in to eat copepods
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #8 
DragonFish

I have one of those 2-2.5 gallon Drum Bowls that sits on my computer desk.

I like it because though it was a tad pricey, its different looking. And with the flat sides, it doesn't really distort pictures like a rounder tank/bowl does which is a big thing for me.
I just tossed in a couple of silk plants(I'm still learning about my live plants and SLOWLY trying to get into them, I'm really very bad with plants but I hope I can keep a few hardy ones alive xD)and plan on picking up some sort of cave but I haven't had the chance to go out and do any fishy shopping since.
In the picture I just had one of those hydor present under-gravel pad heaters in here, which worked well when it was warmer, but of course didn't do as well when it started getting colder. I've since replaced that heater with this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/2710315149...E:L:OU:US:3160 and it seems to be working very well. The plants seem to cover it up for the most part too, so I don't really see it....though I also personally don't find heaters to be unsightly, so maybe I just don't pay enough attention. xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #9 
toad

Ooh I want one of these now! :D

Is this the jar?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hoc...h-Lid/16486707

Last edited by toad; 09-28-2012 at 09:33 PM.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

On btw, I wouldn't put 2 gallons of water in that jar.. the walls seem a little thin...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote