Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #1 
BettaJen

What do you do with your heater?

Hello. I just got my first submersible heater by Tetra for 10 to 30 gallons. I have a ten gallon. Anyone have it, any reviews? :P

The temperature is fine now but it will soon get cold. I'm in Canada. My room is near the window. :P

I was wondering where the best spot to put a heater is? Is horizontal or vertical better? It says its easy to hide, but I think not. Also how often and when do you leave your heater plugged?

Thanks.
BettaJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #2 
DragonFish

^This heater correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that is a Present heater, meaning that there is no thermostat and its not adjustable. Unfortunately these heaters are often unreliable and either don't work at all or under-heat. To be honest, I'd return it if I were you and instead look for a 50 watt thats adjustable with a thermostat. Hydor, Elite, and Aqueon are a few good brands that come to mind.

As far as heater placement, next to the filter intake either vertical or somewhat tilted(my personal preference, but to each their own)should do the trick.
I personally don't find any heater difficult to hide if you have enough cover in your tank, though at the same time I don't find heaters to be unsightly....they're just part of having an aquarium like anything else. xD
You should always have your heater plugged in. Some people who live in a warmer area with stably-warm summers can get away with unplugging their heaters in the summer, but its usually a good idea to keep your heater plugged in 24-7 year round, just like a filter, to keep your water stable.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #3 
laynisample

I have that heater and HATE it. I'm going to get a new one tomorrow. It's in my ten gallon and it fluctuates so much. It goes from 79-90 (IN ONE DAY). I'm sorry. Ninety is too warm for my fish. I'm glad I don't have any fish in there yet as it's the tank I'm cycling. I'd be scared to think what would happen if I had put them in there.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Actually. High 80* temps are good for fishless cycling, along with lots of aeration and filter flow.

But, you're right, that filter is inadequate, even dangerous. I agree with Dragonfish's recommendations. (I'm really disappointed in Tetra in general.)
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #5 
BettaJen

Thanks for the information guys!
It seems to be working well so far...
Old 09-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Hmm....if it seems to be working and holding a steady temp in the proper range, just keep a really close eye on it I'd say. I'd still suggest exchanging it for a better, more reliable heater but if you want to risk it and stick with this one its up to you of course. xD Good luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #7 
toad

I bought 2 of those (the second one to replace the first one) and they didn't work at all; I'd plug them in, the light would come on, and then turn off and the water would stay stone cold. I returned them and bought a Petco brand 50 watt, and love it. It's adjustable and keeps the tank a consistent temp.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

id suggest the 50w hagen elite from amazon. :) cheaper than the 25w and the exact same size...
go figure
I'm using it in a 3g right now
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #9 
BettaJen

Hehe that is weird that it's cheaper.

It's working well.. The light won't change at all but the temp is steady. I am getting wary with the comments, but it wasn't that expensive, has a longer guarantee anyway, so I think I'll stick with it. If I'm being too trusting here, you guys mentioned other heaters that seem good.

I appreciate it. :)