Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #1 
moonsand0wls

How to get rid of snails??

So...
I went and bought some plants from a pet store i've not shopped at before, but my sister had and I liked their plants so I bought some. After buying some and placing them in my Bettas tank (after washing etc) a few days later the tank has around 6-8 little tiny snails on the glass and the plants!! THEN my sister decides to tell me they have snails. How do you get rid of them? They are so annoying
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #2 
Laki

Pond snails, most likely. They are so small on plants.
If the plants are healthy, regular untreated tap water might kill them (chlorine, if your pipes are treated like ours) To get them out of your tank, drop in some lettuce (it will float) and they will get on it to eat. Lettuce is their favorite! Then remove the lettuce and the snails. Might have to do this a few times to get them all.
Pond snails are actually beneficial to the tank but I can't say much because I refuse to put them in my tank because they breed so fast.
Hopefully there are no egg sacs on the leaves of the plants. When I had my driftwood in with my pond snails the egg sacs were literally impervious to everything, I soaked it in hot water then left it outside on my doorstep for a bout a week in the summer then took it back inside and the sacs were re-saturated with water. I couldn't believe it! I boiled the driftwood then for about 20 minutes and scraped them off individually. Those suckers are impossible. The tap water doesn't affect the egg sacs, which is why a lot of people quarentine their new plants outside the tank for a week or so to make sure.
SO, good luck! Hopefully you catch them befire they become a problem but you can keep a population down by starving them. Pond snails prefer to reproduce when they have a lot of food. Pond snails will eat dying plant matter, keeping your tank in good shape though.

*ETA* I should add not to add chlorinated water to your tank. If you feel you must remove the plants and douse them in tap water then do that. The snails have established themselves in the tank though so that might not be beneficial. Just don't add salt to the tank!! It will harm the plants.

Last edited by Laki; 09-26-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #3 
Pilot00

If you have a betta he might snack on them, but your best bet for natural cleaning are either loaches or assassin snails. I have no experience first hand with assassins but i know they do the job done and people say they dont reproduce too much.

Loaches though will munch them completely. They are a true eradication system. Thing is can you support them or do you want them?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #4 
Laki

My assassin snails do not eat ponds. I'm not the first who has "broken"assassins either. My theory is that if they ever have non-snail food (bloodworms) they will prefer that to hunting bc sometimes ponds are too quick for assassins.
Loaches get to be pretty big so unless you have the space and snail population to support a loach I would refrain. Actually, loaches are a great idea if you have a great big tank because then you never have to worry about snails again. BUT they will also eat nerites and larger apple snails (I'm pretty sure, or they kill them)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #5 
babystarz

I'm trying out an assassin snail myself, I don't want to do anything to my tank chemically. I missed a pond snail nest and there are hundreds of babies :( If that doesn't work I might try a dwarf pufferfish next :P
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #6 
moonsand0wls

They are SO ANNOYING! Cleaned out my sisters tank the other day, they were EVERYWHERE, even in the filter sponge. I've only seen one lately so i'm going to remove the plants. They're in the tank with my Betta. I'm pretty annoyed with the shop too, as the other shop I usually buy off of are a little more expensive but are completely snail free and bigger. The thing is there were no live snails on the plants after I rinsed them so probably was an egg sac. Are they harmful or anything? I've never had the problem before but I really don't like it. What do they feed on? The snails are really tiny btw, like minute. not the like snails you get on paths lol
Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #7 
moonsand0wls

And I can't get pufferfishes, my tank isn't big enough for them or loaches :( I think I might quarantine my next plants, not take that risk again!! :(
Old 09-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #8 
sarahspins

Copper is really really bad for snails (and other inverts like shrimp) but generally tolerated by fish at levels that will do in snails.. however then you have dead decaying snails in your tank if they aren't immediately removed (which could be tricky if you can't spot them all) which is another issue and can lead to other problems (ammonia spikes, bacterial blooms, etc).

Unfortunately I think it's usually a lose-lose scenario trying to get rid of snails in a hurrty. Unless your tank is completely overrun with them I'd just pick them out as you see them.. that's what I'm doing in my plant QT tank, and in a smaller tank it's probably the best method of control anyways.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #9 
moonsand0wls

Yeah, i'm going to try that. I've removed the plant and I put a lettuce leaf in and am going to take it out in a few hours and hopefully the adults are on it.. there isn't much, I've only seen one snail, but I know they are very well blended etc. Such a hassle! I will probably be removing gravel from both my axolotl tanks and my betta one (that has the snails) and replacing it with the silica sand.. so hopefully the problem goes with it too!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #10 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsand0wls View Post
Are they harmful or anything? I've never had the problem before but I really don't like it. What do they feed on?
No they're not harmful at all, they just feed on rotting food and algae. So they're actually pretty helpful as long as their population doesn't get out of control (make sure to not overfeed your fish).
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote