Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #21 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Nuts! Yeah, that can happen.

I just reread this thread. Your water is warm; you have plenty of aeration; sufficient flow; enough ammonia, hmm.....

Try cutting your ammonia back to 1.0ppm. Keep it dark (I know you have plants, but a couple of days won't hurt). Is your filter on high?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #22 
RoxieStClaire

My filter isn't adjustable, unfortunately, so it is whatever it is, and there's not much I can do to increase flow.

Yeah, since I noticed the cycle starting to slow down I've kept the tank wrapped up in a towel to block out light.

I think I know what caused it to stall, though. I read on someone's fish keeping blog that suddenly adding too much ammonia at once can create a mini-cycle, so it probably happened when I tried to bring the ammonia back up to 2.0ppm. I'll try taking out enough water to bring it back down tomorrow if it hasn't already started cycling again.
RoxieStClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #23 
RoxieStClaire

Day 10

Woke up this morning, tested my water and... Nothing magically changed overnight, so my ammonia was still at 2.0ppm *head-desk*. I ended up taking out 2 gallons of water to bring the ammonia back down to 1.0ppm. I also added Prime to the added water this time (since the only other thing I can think of that could have possibly stalled the cycle was NOT adding a conditioner to the gallon I added a few days ago. It dawned on me that my city's water is FULL of chlorine and aging it overnight might not have been enough to neutralize it).

My current levels:

Ammonia: 1.0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: Somewhere between 0ppm and 5ppm

I... Don't think I'm going to touch this tank again, aside from testing, until the levels start changing again.
RoxieStClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #24 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxieStClaire View Post
......the only other thing I can think of that could have possibly stalled the cycle was NOT adding a conditioner
Whoops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxieStClaire View Post
I... Don't think I'm going to touch this tank again, aside from testing, until the levels start changing again.
Yup.

Keep us apprised, Roxie
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, safestart