Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #11 
mplsmommy

I saw someone on here had posted that they put their betta babies in a largish water bottle that has air space and a straw too. They put a sock over it to keep it darker. Plus don't forget your heaters it's getting cold at night up here.
mplsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #12 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsmommy View Post
I saw someone on here had posted that they put their betta babies in a largish water bottle that has air space and a straw too. They put a sock over it to keep it darker. Plus don't forget your heaters it's getting cold at night up here.
Oh yeah, you can bet I got heater on the list. Mom said it was as low as 48 one day. Our low here is 89 xD
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

my advice... if it's only 1 week.. dont bring them with you...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #14 
Tikibirds

I've taken both a rodent and bettas from alaska to new york in wintertime and it was very stressful. All but 2 fish froze and the chinchilla was a basketcase. I take it you are driving? How long does it take to get from TX to MN? It IS doable, if it is the only option. I ended up having to hold the remaining fish in a very small animal carrier on my lap for 10 days, under piles of blankets with the heating on full blast due to the extreme temps (-40F).

Uniheat has 72 hour heat packs. I had pretreated water in milk jugs as well but it froze soild in the backseat so when I did stay in a hotel, I ended up using canadian water with stress coat.

I had most of them in coffee cups that way they had access to air as opposed to using shipping bags.

also, bring a syringe or turkey baster to suck out poops incase you cant do a water change. Unless you have some really freaky weather along the way - you should be ok.

Not sure about rats but chinchillas like colder temps so she was OK in that regard but OMG she was nuts for days after the trip ended. I dont think she liked being in her cage in the backseat of a car for 2 weeks straight

Its already been below freezing here, so don't forget the heater

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-29-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #15 
LadyVictorian

My rats were fine from the trip to Texas from MN. They pretty much slept the whole time in the backseat with me. The trip is about 20 hours at speed limit and we don't stop for breaks, we just switch drivers and go through the night. It seems even more important now since we might actually be moving to a new state now because Texas does not provide the band the connections we have in Canada, Chicago, and MN so we might actually be moving to one of those places now and moving with the fish can not be avoided.

Also with an uncycled 5 gallon and a baby fish in a tank under 1 gallon I don't think leaving for a week with no one to look after them would be a good idea. In fact I am sure both would be dead when I came home either from ammonia spike in the tank from no water changes (Aquarius still needs water changes twice a week to stay under .25 and Nix needs water changes daily.) Also a baby betta not getting food for a week...yikes. And Aquarius would shred his tail, he's already very impatient about food and being left alone for too long. If I am away from the house for five hours or more my roomates/bandmates tell me all he does is paces the tank because my normal spot at home is next to the fish tanks. I just wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them in that situation for a week with no one in Texas who can check on them for me since everyone I know would be leaving as well.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 09-29-2012 at 01:05 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

Well take him with you if you really must. bring a few gallons of water from home...
I hope they don't cause you too much stress on your trip
good luck...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote