Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #21 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
oO weird....that the snail died too....
I'm clueless about what might have happened. but I do wish you the best of luck and your little man a speedy recovery!
Yeah it was all very weird and sudden. Thanks. I hope so too.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #22 
goldfishyman

Your snail probably died because of the salt. Ever try putting salt on a garden snail or slug they melt.

I bought a betta from petco and it eventually it started floating sideways and would get tired quickly. I found something yellow on his tail but he was a yellow betta so I thought it was just part of his tail. I pulled it off thinking it was just a piece his tail that was falling off. He continued to get sicker. So I decided quarantine him and added a lot of salt to his tank. Within an hour I found another yellow thing on the bottom of his jar. I took it out and looked under a microscope. It was a fluke. It had been trapped in his gills. I left my betta in the high salt solution for a week and bought a treatment for parasites just in case there were eggs. He got better in 3 days and started swimming normal again. I treated with the parasite treatment afterwards for as per directions to be safe.

Just add more salt and the fluke should fall off.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #23 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Your snail probably died because of the salt. Ever try putting salt on a garden snail or slug they melt.

I bought a betta from petco and it eventually it started floating sideways and would get tired quickly. I found something yellow on his tail but he was a yellow betta so I thought it was just part of his tail. I pulled it off thinking it was just a piece his tail that was falling off. He continued to get sicker. So I decided quarantine him and added a lot of salt to his tank. Within an hour I found another yellow thing on the bottom of his jar. I took it out and looked under a microscope. It was a fluke. It had been trapped in his gills. I left my betta in the high salt solution for a week and bought a treatment for parasites just in case there were eggs. He got better in 3 days and started swimming normal again. I treated with the parasite treatment afterwards for as per directions to be safe.

Just add more salt and the fluke should fall off.
I never added the salt with the snail in the tank. I moved the betta into a hospital tank then started treatment. Yes there was something on the snails shell just like you described. I will continue will the salt and try to get these flukes to fall off. So the flukes hitch rides on the snails shells? I'm not sure why my nerite died. Maybe wasn't healthy in the beginning. Im not buying pets from either Petco or Petsmart. Too many sick animals. :(
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #24 
Tikibirds

I did have a mild outbreak of ich after I added wild snails to my tank. Not sure if snails can transmit ick or if it was just a coincidence. I kinda think it was a coincidence as one girl was acting off before i added them. I treated the whole tank with the snails in it . Luckly they were OK. I dont think I used salt though
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #25 
ao
TFK Moderator

nerites shouldnt even feel the salt...
they can live in brackish and marine environments
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #26 
goldfishyman

Depends on the concentration of salt. What I use to treat is usually higher than brackish water environments. Depending on the plant I salt dip them and it causes the snails to drop off the plants.

I hate snails I thought I would try some snails since they hitched a ride on some plants that I'm raising outside. I put one in my breeding tank with some gourami fry. After 2 weeks I now have an infestation problem. Over 50 snails captured and still more being discovered everyday.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #27 
ao
TFK Moderator

Nerites from petco are usually half dead anyway...
the normal 3tsp/ g dosage recommendation is nothing... I have friends running brackish tanks, and I can tell you the water tastes salty...
really the defintion of brackish is from a littler saltier than fresh water to almost full strength sea water.... it's a fairly vague thing.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #28 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
cuttlebone is supposed to work for calcium as well as calcium pills for humans. try visiting applesnail.net for some good info. Its for apple snails but i'm assuming the info is relevant for all snail types.
Thanks Tiki!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote