Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #1 
aaroncm

New tank

Hey, I have a little over 190 Litre tank (Thats like... I guess a little over 50 Gallons) nearly ready to go (Just have to get a stand)

I have to have a male Betta =P

But, Since it's such a big tank, I wanted some more fish. I'm thinking I'll get whatever before the Betta, so it's less stressful for both.

I was thinking a school of neon tetras? Some people say it's fine, others don't. But if it's a school of them, being in a large tank like this, would it be more than ok to get? If so, how many?

Of course, if there's any high doubts about this, I can go for something else, throw some ideas at me =)

Thanks
aaroncm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncm View Post
Hey, I have a little over 190 Litre tank (Thats like... I guess a little over 50 Gallons) nearly ready to go (Just have to get a stand)

I have to have a male Betta =P

But, Since it's such a big tank, I wanted some more fish. I'm thinking I'll get whatever before the Betta, so it's less stressful for both.

I was thinking a school of neon tetras? Some people say it's fine, others don't. But if it's a school of them, being in a large tank like this, would it be more than ok to get? If so, how many?

Of course, if there's any high doubts about this, I can go for something else, throw some ideas at me =)

Thanks
I would say it's perfectly fine...just put in plenty of plants and hiding spots. I just added 6 Cardinal tetras with my betta in a 10g! It's only been a day, but so far no one seems to mind! In a tank that big you could do a good size school of tetras, I'd say at least 10-15! It will all depend on the betta's personality too..like I said, the new guy and the new tetras I have just haven't bothered with each other.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #3 
aaroncm

Awesome, sounds good then. I'll probably go for 15 or maybe a little more =)
I just don't want any hurt/stressed fish =p

Thanks~ any more opinions welcome =)
Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncm View Post
Awesome, sounds good then. I'll probably go for 15 or maybe a little more =)
I just don't want any hurt/stressed fish =p

Thanks~ any more opinions welcome =)
Yeah, I was going to say more also, but like you, I don't want anyone hurt. I am still nervous with my new tetras and betta in that tank..I keep sneaking over to take a look lol. That is a great size tank you have though...why not divide it and keep a betta in one side, and other types of fish in the other? Just an idea.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #5 
aaroncm

I've just never really liked the idea of permanent dividers, I want the fish to be able to have the entire tank to explore =) Just not fight lol