Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #41 
Leopardfire

I got some ammo chips today to get rid of the ammonia. His tail isn't looking worse with the triple sulfa which I'm taking as a good sign. If it doesn't work, I might continue the treatment a little longer and then give my betta a break. If the fin rot comes back, I will treat him with gram positive meds. It defiantly doesn't look like his tail is charred and blackened. It looks more like someone took some scissors and made a lot of little cuts on his tail. Is this normal for fin rot?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #42 
Leopardfire

Also, I looked up tail biting and by betta looks almost exactly like this.
Is this fin rot or tail biting?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #43 
Leopardfire

Another pic of the same betta so you can see it more clearly.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #44 
Sakura8

In all reality, Maracyn 1 and 2 are not very efficient antibiotics for a number of reasons. Neither work very well in waters that have high pH and Maracyn 2 becomes highly toxic if used after the expiration date. Both have been used so much that most bacteria have actually built up a resistance to them.

Most of the bacteria that we tend to deal with in the aquarium are gram negative, with the exception of mycobacterium and streptococcus. Further, the bacteria that are most commonly associated with fin rot are all gram negative being aeronomas, pseudomonas, and flexibacter. In the instances of flexibacter, triple sulfa has shown to be a very effective medication.

EDIT: That looks like fin biting with the beginnings of an infection.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #45 
Leopardfire

Thanks for the advice on medicines. I was looking at my betta today, and I think that some of the smaller tears are starting to heal together again. It's slow, but I think there's progress! Tomorrow is the last day of the triple sulfa treatment, (it's 4 days) but I think I will continue it for a few more days to get his tail off to a good start. Is this okay? The medicine says it can be repeated if necessary but is it alright to continue it back to back or should I give my betta a break?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #46 
Sakura8

No, that's a good plan. It's best to make sure we get rid of any bacteria that there may be because if we stop treatment too soon and the infection comes back, the bacteria most often comes back highly resistant.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #47 
Leopardfire

Okay I'll do that. Thanks so much for your help on everything! I've asked on tons of different websites but no one seemed to want to take the time to answer all of them. I now feel a lot more certain about what I'm doing. Hopefully it will cure my betta! :)
Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #48 
Sakura8

You're welcome. I'm happy to help you out. :)

Tags
fin rot, maracyn 2, treating