Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #1 
ripit

Can and would a betta swim through this?

So my betta is in a 1 gal, and I got another one off craigs list. I had calculated the volume at 3 gal but made a mistake (my fault). Its about 1.8 gal. So I have been thinking about a custom tank with an anti gravity portion and rigged up something quick to try out with these two tanks. Its just a first run. I will probably try to come up with something better later.

In case you are not familiar with an anti gravity setup, basically consider why there is water in a siphon hose even though its above the water level. If both ends are under water and both tanks have the same water level, it can contain water even though its above the water level. The tube is 2" diameter. It was a lee ghost house that I bent.
Attached Images

ripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #2 
Luimeril

they might. curious little guys, that's for sure. sounds like a real neat idea, though!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #3 
CandiceMM

What a fun idea, maybe just monitor it for a while but I bet a curious Betta would love it!
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #4 
ripit

Thanks for the input. Right now I am slowly mixing water between the tanks. I have a piece of air line tubing as a siphon hose between the 2 tanks. Basically I can scoop a little water out of the tank he is in now and put it in the other tank, and then it slowly moves water back till they are at the same level. After the water has been mixed enough (maybe some time tomorrow), I can hook up the anti gravity tube. I'll then use the power off a mini power filter (currently in the 1 gal with the fish) to pump water from one tank to the other and it will return through the anti gravity tube. That way it will have a shared water system with one heater and filter (one power filter, the new tank also has an undergravel filter). It looks really getto right now but I would imagine I can find some way to improve on it (maybe eventually replace the 1 gal with another octagon tank similar to the new one).
Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #5 
BettaQi

This is awesome sauce!

Good luck!

I saw an interesting slideshow about a similar concept. He used a cleaned out jar As a kind of betta watchtower!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #6 
BettaQi

Get some string , dip it in the water, then into your flake / blood worms so some stick to it.

Hang it over his tank and watch him jump for it ( be careful , and always have a hood on tanks)

Or get a clear glass jar , if your tank is large enough , and place it overwater, filled with water, then turn it upside down and lift it up .
You will have a 'cave, above the water surface for him to swim up in, and check out everybody .

Sorry couldn't find a video.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #7 
BettaQi

If you look on YouTube for The SilverFish aquarium it's pretty amazing!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #8 
ripit

Its a little ghetto looking but I'm sure I can find a way to improve it. Short term, I was thinking cut the 2x4 to equal lengths, glue together, get some molded/shaped trim to go around it and paint it black. Longer term I may try to find another tank similar to the larger one. It took the betta maybe 10 minutes to find his way to the other side. He went into the tube a few times first but eventually crossed and has been exploring the new tank since. I might try to come up with a better tube/bridge too. Not the biggest tanks in the world but I would imagine he would like the combined 2.8 gal instead of his 1 gal.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #9 
Friendlyfishies

If I were a betta...that would look quite fun lol.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #10 
Aus

This is -- really ingenious. Sure, it looks a little dinky right now but I see the potential for some amazing applications. Ideally, you might have perspex lids with holes custom cut to fit the pipe's diameter to prevent jumping (and these fish do indeed jump, at random and juswt when you least expect them to). But hey, I would never have thought of this in a hundred years - great job!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote