Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #1 
RubynRed1978

Question I Need help and I have questions

Hi all.

I received Rubyn, my red veil tail betta on the 13th as a surprise Christmas present. He is in a generic half gallon "tank" that i change the water of at least 50% every night. Payday is Wednesday and i am going to ask my cousin or friend to take me to the pet store and get some basics for Rubyn. First on my list is a bigger tank! Whether my mother agrees or not. She thinks he's fine in what he's in.

What absolutely can not do without things should i get with the tank besides a heater, and thermometer?

What is the best wattage heater for a 2.5 gallon tank and a 5 gallon tank? Most likely getting the 5.

Does a Beta tank NEED a cover?

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it immensely !!
RubynRed1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #2 
0ut0fsight4443

Well, I definitely would go for a cover, because all fish can jump. I have never kept mine in anything smaller then a ten gallon, but if the temp is good in the room, steady and about 76-78, the water should stay the same. Just keep the water clean. Maybe a bubble filter if its a five gallon. Flowers and rocks are also good. So he has something to hide in.
0ut0fsight4443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #3 
kevinap2

Betta tanks should have a lid, yes. Bettas are notorious jumpers.

Both of the tank sizes you mention should be fine with a 25 watt heater, unless you go with a 5 gallon and you keep it cold in the room he is in. If you need to heat the water in a 5 gallon much more than 10F/5C then you should probably go for the 50 watt to be on the safe side and prevent temperature fluctuations.

What do you have for food?
kevinap2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #4 
BettaMaximum

I keep mine in a 2.5 gallon all glass bowel, of course its unfiltered and I do regular 25% water changes to keep the water clean. A lid is a MUST "outofsight" is right, they do jump, lost one or two that way....Good Luck
BettaMaximum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Depending on your budget, I've heard nothing but good about these aquariums:

Aquarium Kits Marineland from PETCO.com
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:01 AM   #6 
Tress

If you're budget is quite tight you could go with a large kritter keeper (I think the big ones are around 3-4g). Then spend more for a good *adjustable* heater. Most pre-set ones only keep it around 76'F, which is ok but adjustables are usually better to begin with. Plus for certain treatments you may need to raise or low the heat. And as kevinap asked, what food do you have? Not all food is made equal and most have way too many fillers in them. New Life Spectrum and Omega One are some of the best foods out there. Choose pellets & frozen foods over flakes & freeze dried food as they can sometimes cause constipation.
Tress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:08 AM   #7 
kr1st3n

I think my 5 G was a Tetra aquarium kit, though I'm not sure. I replaced the filter a week in because a 5 G rated filter doesn't do much for a 5 G tank. For a tank that size, I would recommend getting a Whisper 10i, or something comparable for filtration. That's what I have in mine at the moment, (trading it out for a 20 G filter soon). Airstones/bubble lines are good, too, for that size tank.
kr1st3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #8 
givemethatfish

If you're near a Petsmart, this is a good deal. I have two of these. Some people say they don't like the filter that comes with it, but I haven't had any trouble with it.

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariu...pfm%3Dcategory
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #9 
RubynRed1978

Talking

It's Early in the morning for me so be kind lol I'll answer the questions i remember and ask more.

Since he was a gift i had no control of food quality but Rubyn is being fed Aqueon brand Betta food. It is pellets as far as i know (little balls)

Shopping list so far

-5 gal tank. Russel ones you showed is GORGEOUS

-At least 25 watt heater.

-Tank decor and hidie holes!

-good food. Net. And the larger rocks like i have now for the bottom of tank as i like the look.

Questions:

Where do you get the 2 foods mentioned? What petstore?

Where do you get the frozen foods for bettas?

Have more questions but need to go for now.

Thankyou for the help so far!!
RubynRed1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #10 
Tress

Make sure any decor, rocks, and silk plants (try to avoid plastic) passes the panty ho test. Basically feel it if has any sharp/rough parts that can catch and tear a bettas fins.

You don't need both kinds of pellets, but you can if you want. Petsmart usually carries Omega One, and some pet stores will carry frozen foods (usually in fridge near the fish area), if you can't find it you'll just have to ask :) No biggie if you can't get the frozen foods, you can always try to find them at a later date.

You don't overly need a net, it's actually better to cup your betta (most people keep the cup they came in for this). But they are good for some situations, like medicated baths/dips, so grab one if you have the cash to spare.

(and yes, the little balls are pellets ;) )
Tress is online now   Reply With Quote