Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #1 
caljamsam

Exclamation My fish are on psychotropic drugs

I missed a fish feeding, and then I started feeding them the pellets instead of the werms anymore. They grabbed them, at first not knowing what they were. So they consumed them quickly.

Little did them and me know the powerful effects of these tiny little pellets instead of the worms. They don't want to eat anymore. Now they just want to float around the tank and get petted by me.
caljamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Weird?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #3 
caljamsam

They're on psychotropic drugs (pellets) because they're basically acting psychotic since yesterday.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I do not think that is what it means. All foods affect the brain differently. Pellets are not like that.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

They sound lethargic to me which can be an early warning sign for illness. Do you have a heater in the tank set to 78-80 degrees? How long have they gone now without eating? Do you condition the water when you change it? Has anything in their tanks changed in the past week? Have you tested the water to see what the levels are? Food does not do this to fish, all mine are on pellets. This sound smore like they are not feeling well, or are too cold. When betta get cold their immune system gets weak and their whole body slows down making them seem lazy and making them stop eating.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #6 
Laki

I don't think it's safe to assume the food is "psychotropic".. And I think the term relates to human drug and brain complexes.
I think the water or heat chem might be affecting them.
Also, you can harm your fish by "petting" them. That damages the slime coat and adds chemicals from your skin into the water if your hands are not clean.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #7 
caljamsam

The tank is heated because there is a heater in there. I cycle the water about once every two days, and add a chlorine remover. I don't monitor ph and all that. It's a small tank, with a thin glass partition between the two fishes. Stress? I apologize. Touching and petting; I'm mot grabbing. And it's ok to feed them by hand, although I haven't done that with the pellets yet. I just added with the pellets a sort of large plastic plant and a smaller plant because the space between the partitions is uneven. Everything is going well. They are happy to see me every time I come close.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #8 
caljamsam

And if they think you're hosing them instead of feeding them they've got a bite that can send you through the roof! For such a tiny creature you'd never think they could bite that hard. But trust me they could.

And they're incredibly swift in the water. They can lap my tank in less than a second.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #9 
Luimeril

how big is the tank? as in, how much water does it hold?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would reccomend 2.5 gallon minimum.