Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #1 
Kestral

Fin rot?

I'm not sure if my guy has fin rot or not. :/

This is how he looked the day I got him.

Housing
What size is your tank?: 2.5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank?: 97-80
Does your tank have a filter?: Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: No
Is your tank heated?: No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: Betta Buffet Flakes, pellets, and blood worms once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish?: A pinch of flakes in the morning, 3 pellets at night, and blood worms replacing pellets on Fridays.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?: I do a 50% change 1-2 times a month, and a 100% change once a month.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?: Above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: Stress coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?: N/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?: His fins look a little ragged... and since I first got him, his face has darkened a lot. It used to be reddish pink and gray and now it is black. His colors have darkened a lot. Also... when I first got him, his fins weren't necessarily clamped, but he never spread them out. He wouldn't flare at anything, either. Not even a mirror. Now he flares like Dante and swims around with his fins all pretty. I think that's good?
Also, is appears that the edge of his fins kind of curl up - they haven't gotten shorter, they're just curled up. That one short piece has actually grown... it's hard to tell, because he looks so different in the first picture. Maybe I'm overreacting?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: It hasn't... he swims around normally, eats, flares, acts normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?: A few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: No.
How old is your fish (approximately)?: I've had him for over half a year, since January 22nd.

I'm also thinking of switching over to NLS pellets. I've heard that they're the best food out there... a bit pricey, but I want my guys to be as happy and healthy as possible.

Last edited by Kestral; 09-29-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

First off you need a heater. None of my fish have ever had fin rot but I think that is fin rot. Aquarium salt, more water changes, medicine, and proper temp.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #3 
Kestral

Actually, I do not need a heater. :/ The light is good enough. I can't keep the light on during the day because my tank can get to 90 degrees with the light on during the day.

Also, I meant 77 - 81 degrees.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #4 
babystarz

How many plants are in the tank? Generally you need to do much more frequent water changes for a 2.5 gallon. The plants can help with some filtration, but there are inorganic compounds produced in the aquarium that the plants can't filter and they need to be physically removed. I'm also not sure that plants could handle the ammonia buildup sufficiently. I would do a 100% change now and then start doing weekly changes, alternating with 50% and 100%.

Your guy doesn't look very good (the ventral fins especially) and I think you would be best off giving him a conservative treatment for fin rot. Go ahead and remove him from this tank and put him in a 1 gallon quarantine tank and dose him with 1 tsp. of aquarium salt with new water in 100% daily water changes for 10 days.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #5 
Kestral

Also, I took these pictures at night...
I did a change yesterday. He's eating normally, pooping normally, swimming around normally... are you sure he has fin rot?
I have three plants but they are not live.
Also, the white on his ventral fins are only markings. If anything, they've gotten longer since I've gotten him. All of his fins have gotten longer. I'm starting to wonder if he really has fin rot...
Old 09-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #6 
babystarz

I was actually more worried about the backs of the ventrals than the tips since they looked kind of dark... could you possibly take a picture during the day?

Another possibility is that your water is hard, that can make fins start to curl at the tips.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #7 
Kestral

I'll take some pictures tomorrow, I can't find my camera and it's getting dark.