Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #1 
RedRaz

Please I need Baby Betta care help!

Hello everyone! Well as some of you might already know I am currently treating a very sick adult betta *Raz*. From the moment I brought him home he has been sick. Poor guy. He is a fighter but I spend most of time caring for him. Well I sent my hubs to Petco to buy some meds for Raz when he comes home with BABY BETTA!!!! My first instinct was to tell him to return it right now. I have no idea how to care for a baby betta. I just learned how to care for an adult betta. *sigh* I did not warn my hubs to stay away from the bettas. They will suck you in with their cuteness! Being prepared for your bettas though is so important and I was not happy to see that he brought home this baby.

Then he put the cup up to my face and I saw it... that cute betta face that *take me home and love me forever* face. How could I say no to that. So now I have a baby betta named Shelby if a girl or Sheldon if a boy. I need help on how to properly care for him or her. I know that I have to keep the water pretty warm at 80-82 degrees. Also the water has to be very clean. What type of water changes would you recommend weekly?

Also what about the filter...is one needed right now? The 1 gal tank my hubs bought come with an underground filter system and air pump. The link is below. I plan to upgrade the tank when she or he gets bigger. I currently have the 1 gal set up since last night I added water conditioner and stress coat. I just need to buy a thermometer and a heater today.

What do I feed the baby? I heard live food is best. Where on earth do I get that from? I have mostly Petco, Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus by me. Can I feed the baby crushed New Life Spectrum *growth* pellets? Also I know I have a Sick adult betta *Raz* right now so I am making sure everything *supply wise* is kept separately. I am going as far as having my hubs do the daily changes on the baby and I do Raz daily changes. Therefore no way the baby can get what he has. I am also buying her supplies brand new so we won't have to mix anything. I know this will be really challenging to take care of a sick betta and now a baby but I don't have the heart to return the baby. So any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

What we have:
http://www.petco.com/product/104215/...arium-Kit.aspxbrand new 1 gal aquarium
brand new silk plant
water conditioner
stress coat
tons of different pellet food
betta flakes
freeze dried blood worms
frozen blood worms
API master test kit

What we will buy today:
heater!!!!
thermometer
gravel
new net

If there is anything I should add to the list please let me know.

The baby is a hair bigger then an inch and very active. I can already see blue coloring on him or her. I have the baby by our heater in the apartment wrapped with a hand towel until Petco opens.
Attached Images

RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You don't need to add a filter in a tank that small, it'll make the Baby even more stressed. :( The only difference is the food and temperature. Babies need 80F-82F so they'll grow quicker and a higher immune response. You'll need high protein foods as well so it'll be big and strong. Make sure to get an adjustable heater. And the NLS Growth Pellets will do just fine, even Hikari Little Bites will do awesomely. You should feed frozen or live when you get the chance. Are you sure it's a baby? Looks full grown to me. Oh well.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #3 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
You don't need to add a filter in a tank that small, it'll make the Baby even more stressed. :( The only difference is the food and temperature. Babies need 80F-82F so they'll grow quicker and a higher immune response. You'll need high protein foods as well so it'll be big and strong. Make sure to get an adjustable heater. And the NLS Growth Pellets will do just fine, even Hikari Little Bites will do awesomely. You should feed frozen or live when you get the chance. Are you sure it's a baby? Looks full grown to me. Oh well.
Okay that is good to know about the filter. I did not install because I figured it would stress him or her out. I will look for an adjustable heater for sure. Any recs? I have both pellets so that is good, lol. Yay! What kind of frozen food should i get? Brine shrimp? She or he is labeled baby betta *shrugs* This "baby" is bigger then ones I have seen in the stores. I measured with fins included a little longer then an inch. How would I know if she is or isn't a baby?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Hydor THEO heaters are good. I have it and it works like a charm. (; It's great you have both pellets... Brine Shrimp and Bloodworms will work well. Make sure not to overfeed. If the Betta is over 1 inch without the fins, I assume it's not a baby anymore.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Here's a link of a website that a friend here made: http://bettacarecentral.weebly.com/baby-betta-care.html

This is about babies so it should help you quite a bit. If you can't get the recommended tank size, it's fine. Just do the needed water changes and you're good.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Oh my goodness who cute and looking at the ventrals(the little fins that hang down) makes me think its a boy. I know nothing about the babies but they are sure adorable and I am so happy for you what a sweet hubby you have ! Best wishes for the new baby and for Raz to get better real soon !!!!!
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #7 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Here's a link of a website that a friend here made: http://bettacarecentral.weebly.com/baby-betta-care.html

This is about babies so it should help you quite a bit. If you can't get the recommended tank size, it's fine. Just do the needed water changes and you're good.
She or he is in between seven and eight weeks it looks like. The pics I took were close ups. Made her/him look bigger. Thanks for the rec and the site link. Very helpful. I'm def gonna upgrade to a 5 gal tank soon and I have a 10 gal tank as well. Thanks so much for your help.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #8 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Oh my goodness who cute and looking at the ventrals(the little fins that hang down) makes me think its a boy. I know nothing about the babies but they are sure adorable and I am so happy for you what a sweet hubby you have ! Best wishes for the new baby and for Raz to get better real soon !!!!!
Hey you! Yes his/her ventral are too cute. *squeeee* Thank you! Yes my hubs meant well he was trying to cheer me up. I told him next time we need to talk about getting a new pet. They require research and preparation. I understand though he fell in love with him/her as soon as he saw the baby. lol! She/he got that look down. We were suckers! lol! He calls it our baby. Oh I hope it's a boy! Yes my Raz is hanging in there. I'm making sure he gets the best treatment. *hugs* Thanks!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #9 
LadyVictorian

Okay, I too have a baby I am raising and Nix has been thriving. I'll tell you what I do.

1. Water changes are 50% every day to keep ammonia down but one 100% ever 2 to 3 days. I test ammonia daily and try to make sure it doesn't even get to .25.

2. Feeding, I am currently feeding Nix NLS and s/he LOVES it, gobbles it up like their is no tomorrow. I also am going to be feeding juvinial brine shrimp soon once my brine shrimp come in, live. Caring for and raising brine shrimp for your baby isn't as hard as it seems. Do a little research and you'll find brine are actually pretty cool and fun in their own right but great for fish. Grendel worms are amazing too, I'm picking some up soon myself. Feed at least three times a day and make sure you feed small portions, don' put too much food in at once.

3. Precondition a few gallons of water. If you do this water changes will be easier on the baby because the water is already set to go. I preconditioned two gallons and one is used up I start another.

Looks like your baby is a bit older than mine, seems like it's already getting it's color in. I wish you luck with it and hope your baby can make it. Seems healthy and since it's a slightly older fish than normal it has a better chance.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #10 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
my baby betta looks the exact same. I used to feed him crushed betta food but he can eat regular food now.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote