Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #1 
Kira and Cleoh

Question Im a little concerned?

So I changed my girl's water on friday, And kiras water is Cloudy. and Cleoh's is slightly cloudy too I want to chenge their water toatly and clean all the rocks, but Im not too sure if thats good for them?
Also, I want to put my girls in My 8 or ten,( I cant remember) Gallon tan, but there are only two girls, so When I go to the pet store to get my male should I get two females also so Its just more like a pecking order? another problem is my 8-10 gallon is the one I plan on breeding my fish in so should I just buy another 5 gallon tank and have the male in that always? and the females in the 8-10 always?

What do you guys suggest?

*Also* when i buy my fish I really hate going to pet stores Like petland, Petsmart, Walmart, etc Does anyone know of REAL petstores around Prince Albert, SK, (canada) Tisdale, SK, (Canada) or Melfort, SK (Canada)? Those are places I am able to travel to not where I live,
So..? wht should I do?
Kira and Cleoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Here's the consensus opinion around here:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...orities-29402/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #3 
Luimeril

you couldn't do two girls only. you'd need 2-3 more girls, and plant the tank up real heavily with plants and hiding spots. but, if this is the tank you want to breed in, i suggest getting another tank to house them in.

and cleaning the full tank is fine. that's what i do. cup the betta, dump and clean everything, put everything back in, fill it back up... you get the idea. :B
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #4 
Myates

Agree with Luimeril.. for a sorority to have a chance at lasting you will want 4-5 minimum in a tank no smaller than a 10 gallon and very heavily planted (live or fake) with plants reaching the top of the water and mid level. Sororities are tricky and more often than not fail at some point, or have to remove a female or two at some point (replacing them). Make sure to have spare tanks to put any female in that needs to be alone (females are just as aggressive as males).

Unsure what you are meaning with the male? Are you wanting to put them all in the same tank? Unless the tank is divided, do not place males and females together.. very bad outcome.

A 10 gallon is fine to breed the fish in, but you will have to have a 20g or larger at least for the grow out tank for the fry.

A cloudy tank can be from a lot of things, and even though cleaning a tank fully is an option (just be careful not to kill the bacteria you have in the filter) it may not be the solution and the cloudiness may come back. It could be a bacteria bloom or a rise in ammonia, etc. How long has the tank been set up, is it fully cycled (6-8 weeks + tested), any additional chemicals placed in the tank other than water conditioner? I would try to find the reason for the cloudiness before doing a complete change. Also sometimes just a 50% water change can help clear up a tank.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #5 
Kira and Cleoh

I dont have a filter, I dont condition my water, I let it sit for 12 hours, that way the water is room tempature and the Chlorine disapates (evaporates)
Also, The females I had were in a ten gallon with the two and one other, But if I get a female their not familiar with, will things turn out bad? would three work? or should I go with four?
Kira and Cleoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #6 
Jupiter

Four is the minimum. With three two girls tend to gang up on the other, I believe.

If you introduce the females into the tank at the same time it should be fine. There will be some fighting and chasing for the first few days which is normal, so keep your eye out on them.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote