Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Talking Project: Sorority

My dad says I can have a sorority if I do extra chores for a month and no complaining!! :D My mom agrees almost to everything my dad allows so I'm in!!
I'll put down my plan and I'll update later to see what my mom says.

The tank will be 10 gallons, cycled 1st and heated. There will be 5 females, each with a different color and they will possibly be sympathy purchases or rescues nursed back to health. (Note: I'll inspect on their illness so I know what to deal with) I will QT all of them in the cup they came in. The tank will be heavily decorated and possibly planted. The substrate will be gravel.

Any ideas on what else to do? Oh, and if any of you have a dragonscale or marble female please let me know. I'll ask my parents if I can buy them and they will have to be $8 or below. The shipping price will be discussed and it will depend.

Once my sorority is completed, I'll gladly take pictures and answer any questions. I'll hopefully be experienced enough when the sorority is complete and I will move into Oscars next. :D

Any sorority keepers, please share advice!! It will be so much help for me as I'm so new to this!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #2 
skepkat

I'm new too, so I can't offer any specific advice, but I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Since you mentioned color, most of my fish were different colors in the store. - especially the blues.
skepkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

It's OK. You could learn on my mistakes that I will make in the future. ^^" My favorite color is blue!! It's going to be hard to choose other colors. Haha

My mom said yes! I'm so excited!! c:
Old 09-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #4 
Lizzie the Badger

A tip that I can give is to have A LOT of plants. Do not get caves or other decorations that only have one opening because a female could get stuck in there without another exit.

I own seven females that live together, so if you need any help, I'm here. =)
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

I'll try... But I have a black thumb. :\ I'll get decorations with more than 1 exit. Thanks! Anymore advice?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #6 
Lizzie the Badger

Make sure you have a quaratine tank. If one fish gets sick, the others may follow.

And, when you are adding females in the tank, add the least agressive first. This is what I do when I get a new fish or during water changes.
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Yep, I'll QT them just in case. Thank you for all the tips! I have a question even if it's not relevant but do you actually have a badger as a pet?? 0.o
Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 
babystarz

I also recommend lots of plants, it's important to have both ground cover and floating plants. Also I always include one cavelike shelter with at least 2 exits per fish. All of these things help break up the line of sight so that anyone being chased can escape pursuit.

Feeding can be hectic as sometimes in a bid for dominance one female will try to eat all of the food you offer and bloat herself sick. My girls even jump XD The best way to feed is count how many times you've dropped a pellet in front of a fish's face. Or feed defrosted food on a Q-tip one at a time.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

I plan to separate them during feedings, you know, cupping them. I have frozen daphnia, FD bloodworms, NLS pellets, and Tropical Flakes.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Update!

My mom is going to get her table this week!! Hurray!!! :D Discount, it appears.
It can hold a 20 long but.. We're still moving out next year, so it'll be pretty stressful to us and the fish. And it's glass.

A breeder here showed me some of his Bettas and I took a liking to them. (; He's keeping them in reserve for me until the tank is finished or if my dad won't want to buy them. So another, Hurray!!! xD