Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #1 
Charc14

Question Bettas in a vase.

Am I The only one who can't stand those vase tanks?
It tells the people that the fish eat the plants roots. BETTAS ARE CARNIVORES.
Why? Can you take the plant off to clean the tank? Because every-time I See them it says that it is a perfect ecosystem. Betta eats plant, plant eats betta waste. No feeding or cleaning needed. :( As its true, That plants do help keep the tank clean, A plant can't maintain a tank all by its self!

I'm sorry, If this offends anyone, (I'm not trying to offend anyone) but I'm just wondering if I'm crazy or not
Charc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #2 
VivianKJean

Why would this offend anyone on here? You are on a forum full of betta enthusiasts :)

None of us keep bettas in vases! All of us have at least a 2.5 gallon heated set up and many of us have filtered and cycled aquariums for our fish.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #3 
hgual22

I know someone who keeps their bettas in vases, but she knows they don't eat the roots, and she cleans the 2gal vases 2 times a week. The vases are huge (compared to most vases) and they are heated and there is surface for the betta to breathe. While I personally like my tanks, her vases are pretty and the bettas are happy and healthy.

I also know a person your describing. Tried to convince me they don't have to feed their betta at all or ever clean the water. Let's just say the betta died after just over a month. The water was cold and dirty, and the betta was starving. She still thinks the betta died of old age. Some people won't change.
hgual22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #4 
Charc14

Yeah, I mean, as long as they clean, heat, and supply actual food, Then I'm ok with it. like your friend Hgaul22, But it just makes me so sad when I Watch people buy them and They ask for advice and the ( what they think as) "Pros" havent got a clue as to what they're talking about. :(. I saw some at jacks pets the other day, and the betta in a vase was actually DEAD. I was soo angry. But I'm kinda young, ( In my teens) , so I didnt think anyone would listen to me. Luckily there is one lady at the jacks near me that knows a lot about them and she tries to make sure that each customer knows what care a betta really needs. The betta that had passed was in the back with horrid water, So I don't know if she saw it, and she was not on duty when I was there.
Charc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #5 
MameJenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgual22 View Post
I know someone who keeps their bettas in vases, but she knows they don't eat the roots, and she cleans the 2gal vases 2 times a week. The vases are huge (compared to most vases) and they are heated and there is surface for the betta to breathe. While I personally like my tanks, her vases are pretty and the bettas are happy and healthy.

I also know a person your describing. Tried to convince me they don't have to feed their betta at all or ever clean the water. Let's just say the betta died after just over a month. The water was cold and dirty, and the betta was starving. She still thinks the betta died of old age. Some people won't change.
...how would a fish die after a month from old age, though. Ugh. Some people...

I'd love to have a big two or three gallon vase for a betta. Hiding the heater and filter would be tough, but it could be doable if you had a whole bunch of plants. There's a hardware store here that sells 3 gallon glass vases for $15. Needless to say, I am very tempted.

Those "betta in a vase" things are ridiculous, though. You can't have a self-sustaining ecosystem if half of the "ecosystem" has no food and no air.
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #6 
Confishius

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianKJean View Post
Why would this offend anyone on here? You are on a forum full of betta enthusiasts :)

None of us keep bettas in vases! All of us have at least a 2.5 gallon heated set up and many of us have filtered and cycled aquariums for our fish.
well...not all of us. some of us are forced by lack of space and money to keep ours in unheated 1.5 gallon tanks....
Confishius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #7 
bluenail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confishius View Post
well...not all of us. some of us are forced by lack of space and money to keep ours in unheated 1.5 gallon tanks....
Do you at least have a thermometer in there? Is the water temperature staying warm enough for him?
bluenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:26 AM   #8 
Pandanke

There is really no reason to keep a fish in an unheated tank due to space, or unfiltered. There are tiny filters such as the Azoo Palm (7$) and tiny heaters meant for small tanks. Even my 1-2g tanks are heated.
Pandanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #9 
MikeG14

I was in a LFS that I usually don't shop at and was told that a lady walked in a and ordered 35 Bettas to put in vases for a wedding.

I wish them an unhappy marriage with lots of lawyers in their future.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #10 
aWitch4Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG14 View Post
I was in a LFS that I usually don't shop at and was told that a lady walked in a and ordered 35 Bettas to put in vases for a wedding.

I wish them an unhappy marriage with lots of lawyers in their future.
Because am full of snark and evil... this post made me crack up.
aWitch4Harry is offline   Reply With Quote