Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2014, 03:27 AM   #1 
Samwisethebetta

Currents

Hey people,
i have a 10L bowl (2.5gallon)
with my betta in it (percival), one aqua one 25W heater and an aqua one 300f-LV filter, i have the spray bar pointed straight up to minimize current in the bowl.
seems to enjoy it becuase he is swimming around a fair bit more than before although not sure if this is just becuase he is fighting a current. he also enjoys sitting on top of the filter and heater.. he also seems to sit right at the top on the very edge of the bowl, before i had the filter he sometimes went down and sat in his cave. thoughts?

one other question is i acidentally left heater on when i did a water change, how likely is this to break the heater, i didnt notice anything different about it but i dont have a themometer to check.. i have not seen the red light flash yet but i dont know if thats cos its at the right temperature. thoughts?
Samwisethebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #2 
Betaphototramp

First betta like still or as close to still as you can get the tank. I have a 10 gallon tank with one betta in it and the filter is a Penguin 100 bio filter. it filters 100 gallons per hour and the return flow is very heavy and causes quite a current. To take care of that problem I have restricted the return flow with a 1/2 inch piece of bio sponge rubber banded to the filter and I have redirected the flow with a piece of clear plastic water bottle cut down into a c shape and taped to the filter and tucked under the flow shoot. The filter still filters 100 gallon per hour but there is little to no current in the tank.
As for your heater. GET A THERMOMETER check the temp of the water. It doesn't take much to blow out a heater. If you found it before you added water to the tank and left it cool down for a bout 15 min. you may not have a problem. But if you didn't and you added cool water to the tank and the heater had not cooled down. Well than best buy a new heater.
Betaphototramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #3 
VivianKJean

Actually that isn't true. It really depends on the individual fish. Two of my bettas actually like the current and like to play in the current. My last betta doesn't exactly love currents but she loves to chase food in it. Yes my fiilters are baffled but there isn't exactly "no current".

and yes, get a thermometer.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #4 
Aqua Aurora

+1vivian, my plakat Xerxes likes to slim in the little current I do have from the canister, the spraybar is aimed at the wall its suction cupped to for natural baffling, but he likes to move around in it (he has no issue moving out of the weak current and to other areas of the tank). I can't say my 2 deltas would care for the current as I've kept them in tanks with foam over hob outflow or with sponge filters whihc has less water movement.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #5 
Samwisethebetta

ok so i have pointed the spray bar straight up and used a rubber band to strap a fake plant stem to it which allows the water to trickle off the leaves into the water with no sound and virtually no current.. Big Win..

I went to the pet shop and got percival a Betta hammock which he has not used yet but its there if he finds it..

I grabbed myself one of those digital themometers, chucked the probe in the water and to my disapointment it seems the water is sitting at around 22.8 degrees celcius to 22.9 degrees celcius. i am prety annoied by this as i dont want to have to go buy another heater (i have already spent about $170 setting this all up) he seems perfectly happy in this temp tho, is it a big issue?

Verry annoyed i may have broken the heater on the first water change..
Samwisethebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #6 
mattdocs12345

My betta seems to be less stressed without a current. He is actually know exploring entire tank and not hiding behind something all the time.
mattdocs12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:54 AM   #7 
Polkadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianKJean View Post
Actually that isn't true. It really depends on the individual fish. Two of my bettas actually like the current and like to play in the current.
Same here. All my Bettas enjoy the current & playing in it & the bubbles from the spray bar,especially my PK boys.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #8 
Ilovebettasbk11

I had tried a filter my poor poor betta had to remove it too strong for him treated my betta like a ragg doll
Ilovebettasbk11 is online now   Reply With Quote