Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #1 
JZK100

Question Too Many Plants?

Hey all!

I'm afraid to say I'm pretty new to betta keeping, so if this is a newbie question, I apologize.

I just got a little double-tail male about three weeks ago, and I've been experimenting with the setup in his tank. I was worried at first that I had too many plants in there, but when I took one out last week, he got so stressed out that stripes appeared (stress stripes, I think?) and he refused to eat.

When I put it back in, he was completely happy again, and even started building a bubble nest around the replaced plant. It was the only thing that had changed in the tank, so I assume he must just like a busy tank.

However, with the addition of a new "moon rock" cave, I'm again concerned that it may be too crowded in his little 2 gallon tank.

Below is an image of his tank setup at the moment.

What do you think? Is it possible to have a tank too crowded? Does he need more room to stretch?

He doesn't seem stressed or anything with this set up, but I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause problems for him!
Attached Images

JZK100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #2 
Tree

you can never have too many plants IMO. Bettas like lots of cover. I think it looks like betta heaven too me. =)
Tree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM   #3 
VivianKJean

+1. you can never have too many plants.

Glad to see they are silk plants as well :)
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM   #4 
kjg1029

yes your tank is prefect! I try to change it around every few weeks and maybe change out the hide thing if you can? But it looks good I bet he's one happy fish!!
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM   #5 
VivianKJean

You don't have to change the decor around. Personally, I maybe do it a few times a year?

i also have never switched the caves out because my fish love the ones that are in their tanks already.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:43 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's especially nice that you have leaves up near the surface for him to sleep on. They like hides and shade. You're doing fine.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:11 AM   #7 
Betaphototramp

Well done. And no you can't have enough plants unless there is no more room to put them and then it's time for a bigger tank. Fish love good cover and hides.
Betaphototramp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:44 AM   #8 
Pandanke

If you like the plant cover a lot, consider some real swords, hygro compacta, java fern, and anubias. These are all stupid easy to take care of *and have the added benefit of cleaning your water* - I have tanks with real plants that easily have this many in it. Bettas love the cover.
Pandanke is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
plants, setup, silk plants, tank, tank setup