Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #1 
penguin

Is filter really necessary

I had been using the aqeon filter in my four gallon tank, but the flow was strong. I changed to a smaller water pump which helped the flow alot, however my little guy seemed not his usual self and was sluggish. I thought maybe turning off the filter for a couple of days until I added the new pump had caused a water inbalance or bacteria. I turned off the filter and pump completely and since then he is active and his normal self. I do regular half water changes once a week and siphon out any debris in between changes. Is it important to have a filter, and if I do start my filter again, do I have to take him out of the tank for a full recycle? I dont want to upset him as he seems happy now without the filter.
Thanks for any input.
penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Filter isn't necessary but it's NEARLY impossible to cycle without one, since the water isn't being recycled and oxygenated the beneficial bacteria die off. Some have done it with an airstone but it's super difficult and should be done fishless. In a 4g unfiltered you can just do 1 50% and 1 100% pr week
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #3 
penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
Filter isn't necessary but it's NEARLY impossible to cycle without one, since the water isn't being recycled and oxygenated the beneficial bacteria die off. Some have done it with an airstone but it's super difficult and should be done fishless. In a 4g unfiltered you can just do 1 50% and 1 100% pr week
Thank you! I really want to get the filter going again, and looking in to getting the sponge filter. I was not sure if I could add a new filter with him in the tank or start all over again.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #4 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
Thank you! I really want to get the filter going again, and looking in to getting the sponge filter. I was not sure if I could add a new filter with him in the tank or start all over again.
You can totally do a fish in cycle, just make sure to do a 59% water change every time ammonia hits .25ppm (test daily) and use safe start or something like that
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #5 
VivianKJean

I'm going to disagree and say a filter is necessary. I used to not think they were but since I got one and cycled my tanks my fish are much healthier. Without a filter there is always going to be ammonia in your tank and ammonia is toxic to fish. Even small amounts are not good for them.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #6 
NorthernLights

In a three gallon tank, I'd go with either a sponge filter or under gravel filter, and baffle the riser tube. Both use an airstone and pump, and work very similarly. When I had a UGF, I baffled it by stuffing lots of plastic frill plant from the Wal-Mart fish section (looks kind like douglas fir tree sprigs) down the tube. It makes the bubbles smaller. You can also rig up a valve to the airline (they sell these at pet stores in the fish section, looks like a t-shape pieces of plastic with a small screw in the middle of the t) that will allow you to decrease the air flow.

Some bettas will not tolerate any current at all, others only very light current, others love current of all kinds. Generally, we suggest you try little to no current.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #7 
SabastiansMom

+1 Viv! So true, best to have a cycled tank. My 4g is FINALLY cycled!
SabastiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #8 
penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
You can totally do a fish in cycle, just make sure to do a 59% water change every time ammonia hits .25ppm (test daily) and use safe start or something like that
Awesome! I dont want to remove him from the tank, I had done this before and he was not happy and very nervous. I will do the cycle while he is in the tank and take your advice.
thanks so much!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #9 
penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
In a three gallon tank, I'd go with either a sponge filter or under gravel filter, and baffle the riser tube. Both use an airstone and pump, and work very similarly. When I had a UGF, I baffled it by stuffing lots of plastic frill plant from the Wal-Mart fish section (looks kind like douglas fir tree sprigs) down the tube. It makes the bubbles smaller. You can also rig up a valve to the airline (they sell these at pet stores in the fish section, looks like a t-shape pieces of plastic with a small screw in the middle of the t) that will allow you to decrease the air flow.

Some bettas will not tolerate any current at all, others only very light current, others love current of all kinds. Generally, we suggest you try little to no current.
Yes he did not like the flow at all and it was very low. I will purchase a sponge filter and will baffle it should it be too much. What a great idea with the methods you mentioned.
Much thanks!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #10 
Schmoo

A filter definitely makes things easier and has benefits, but IMO it is not necessary. As long as you keep up with the water changes and everything, you fish can still be perfectly healthy. I kept my DT male in a filtered 5 gallon, and he was not thrilled with it. I moved him into a 3 gallon, unfiltered tank, and he seems much "happier."
Schmoo is offline   Reply With Quote