Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #1 
val3

Changing Tanks?

My betta is in a cycled, heated, and filtered 5 gallon tank. I want to put him in a 10 gallon tank soon. What is the least stressful way to switch tanks?

I use a sponge filter for the tank, will the new tank be cycled if I put his current filter, gravel, and water in the new tank along with the new (conditioned) water? Or should I just cycle the new tank before adding my betta? Any advice?

Another question I have if anyone can answer...
I am going to be moving soon and the drive will be about half an hour, maybe a little longer, and it's cold out. How long does it take for the water temperature to drop? I'm just a little worried about moving him because of the temperature.

Thanks in advance.
val3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #2 
kjg1029

cycle the new tank before you move her. Then just cup her and acclimate her.
for the move I would get a small cooler, and put her cup in there snuggled between some towels, so she's not cold, and her cup won't move around.
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #3 
val3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1029 View Post
cycle the new tank before you move her. Then just cup her and acclimate her.
for the move I would get a small cooler, and put her cup in there snuggled between some towels, so she's not cold, and her cup won't move around.
That is a great idea with the cooler and the towels. I didn't think of that, thank you.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #4 
kjg1029

your welcome, if you need anything else just ask:)
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #5 
MikeG14

I did a move similar to yours a few months back. I moved the sponge filter, gravel plants & some water from the smaller aquarium into the larger tank. I had some treated water ready to go heated to around 80 degrees. I cupped my fish and re-acclimated him to his new tank. The whole move took less than 1/2 hour. The cycle really didn't miss a beat. I tested everyday and did my water changes as scheduled. Just make sure you keep your filter and gravel wet.

Follow kjg1029's advice and keep your fish warm and you shouldn't have any troubles. Just make sure the cooler is warm before putting the fish in. If it's sitting in a cold shed or garage, bring it in the house and warm it up before the trip.
MikeG14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #6 
val3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG14 View Post
I did a move similar to yours a few months back. I moved the sponge filter, gravel plants & some water from the smaller aquarium into the larger tank. I had some treated water ready to go heated to around 80 degrees. I cupped my fish and re-acclimated him to his new tank. The whole move took less than 1/2 hour. The cycle really didn't miss a beat. I tested everyday and did my water changes as scheduled. Just make sure you keep your filter and gravel wet.

Follow kjg1029's advice and keep your fish warm and you shouldn't have any troubles. Just make sure the cooler is warm before putting the fish in. If it's sitting in a cold shed or garage, bring it in the house and warm it up before the trip.
What you did is similar to what I was planning on doing to change tanks...but wanted to hear from someone else what their experience was doing it that way. I will definitely test the water to make sure everything is okay... and will keep the filter and gravel wet during the process. I can't wait to move him to a 10 gallon tank, I think he'll love it. Thank you so much for replying.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #7 
Tolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by val3 View Post
I use a sponge filter for the tank, will the new tank be cycled if I put his current filter, gravel, and water in the new tank along with the new (conditioned) water?
Yes, with a cycled filter the filter cycles, not the tank. The filter doesn't know if it's running on a 5 gallon tank or a 50 gallon tank, it has enough nitrifying bacteria to safely convert the waste of that bioload.

To be on the safe side, fast the fish for a day or 2 before the switch, feed lightly for the next week. This helps in the event there is any loss of nitrifying bacteria.

A half hour move with 1 fish means I tuck the bagged fish inside my shirt if it's cold out. This keeps it plenty warm.

Last edited by Tolak; 10-30-2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Typos derp!
Tolak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #8 
val3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolak View Post
Yes, with a cycled filter the filter cycles, not the tank. The filter doesn't know if it's running on a 5 gallon tank or a 50 gallon tank, it has enough nitrifying bacteria to safely convert the waste of that bioload.

To be on the safe side, fast the fish for a day or 2 before the switch, feed lightly for the next week. This helps in the event there is any loss of nitrifying bacteria.

A half hour move with 1 fish means I tuck the bagged fish inside my shirt if it's cold out. This keeps it plenty warm.
Glad to hear that about the filter!

I was planning on fasting him the day I switch tanks, and I'll take your advice on fasting him before the switch and feeding lightly afterwards. Thank you!