Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2015, 01:11 AM   #1 
Cleosertori

Exclamation Weird white leathery wisp-like substace in tank

Ive been going through a ongoing battle with my bettas fish tank for a good 4 months now. Ive had my betta, Lotus, for nearly a year now and up until a few months ago, I would change 50% of his water every week. Because school work began to catch up to me, ive began to slowly drag it out to two weeks (I know, im sorry).
That was when I began to notice that my bettas decor began to have white/brown specks on it- regardless of if ive cleaned it with hot water and scrubbed it down.
Then the little suction sups that held the thermometer and his betta hammock began to look opaque with this white gluelike substance coating it rather than being transparent like how I bought it.
Now about a month and a half ago, the surface of my bettas water began to look leathery... like it literally looked wrinkely. when I picked it up, the surface collected like slime. This happened for about a month or so- even when I would change the water about every 7-9 days.
About two weeks ago, I had cleaned out his entire 5 gallon tank. I dumped all the dirty tank water in the yard and sprayed down the entire tank. I then heated up some water in the microwave, nearly boiling, and mixed it with aquarium salt and dumped it into the tank. I swooshed it around and let it sit for half an hour. I then hosed it down again and put in new declorinated water and put my fish back in. Because I didnt want the old water to be back in the new water, I only put in the small amount of water that was in the cup that my fish was in into the tank; so about 5% of the old water was in the tank. I knew it wasnt wise because my fish could undergo stress, which he did by nipping at his fins a few times, but I didnt know what more to do! because the water was so clean, I wanted him to dirty it a bit so the tank could be get some good bacteria back into the tank.
I was planning on cleaning the tank today, but then I began to notice the surface of my water began to be thicker and whiter. My betta began blowing big bubbles that were lined with (what I can best describe it as mucus). My tank is worse than ever before and this weird white whispy substance doesnt seem to be leaving my alone.
oddly enough, it has led my betta alone. he hasnt responded negatively to the water nor the gross fuzzy stuff on the decor and gravel. as im speaking, I see him making a bubble nest.... do you see how confusing this is?! id think hed be sick or acting strange but hes still full of energy when I go over to his tank and he still eats like a pig.
ive currently been thinking about putting him back in his old 1 gallon bowl while I throw out his current tank and buy and start a new one completely. I know it isnt ideal at all, but it would be a temporary tank for him. this is honestly all I can think of as a quick solution for now.

Have any of you had this weird white slimy stuff in your tank? Any advice or ideas of what this stuff in my water could be will be greatly appreciated.

Tank: 5 Gallons
Heater: yes
Filter: no; this is because my betta HATES filters. hes not a fan of the waterfall effect. i have considered a sponge filter but all the ones ive tried took up nearly half of the tank. I would just clean the tank more thoroughly and more consistantly.
water conditioner: Seachem prime
Cleosertori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 AM   #2 
Cleosertori

here are some photos!
Attached Images

Cleosertori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:45 AM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Do you know water parameters? If you get the water tested at a pet store have them give you the numbers; don't settle for "it's okay" or "it's safe."

Even if your boy doesn't like filters he can get used to them. Without some sort of current (an airstone or bubble will work, too) and frequent water changes water will become stagnant in hot weather. I have small internal filters in my 5.5 gallon tanks with no space issues. Had them in my 2.5, too. Get the kind with a spraybar so you can turn the bar to the tank wall to create an instant baffle.

The white slimy stuff is most likely a harmless fungus and the brown could be diatoms.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:06 AM   #4 
kittenfish

Don't know what it is exactly but it's normal for a tank with no surface agitation. Gross-looking but harmless and easy to skim off the surface. If you're looking for a smaller sponge filter, this one is only two inches wide: http://www.truaqua.com/aquatop-inter...er-caf-10.html
kittenfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:54 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

AquaTop/TruAqua is offering BF members a site-wide 20% discount. If interested send me a PM for the code.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote