Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2015, 04:55 AM   #1 
Princette

Angry Aquarium leak

So my (Literally 1 week old) Aquarium is leaking

im more than a little mad about this like. I just bought this. I've spent 250+ USD on Oliver (I love him but my mom who's paying for this is getting Real friggin annoyed)

And now the tank decides it wants to leak.

Quickest cheapest way to fix this??

I know aquarium silicone but if i use that do i need to rip out all the old seam or can i get away with just quick patching it and letting it cure for a day or two?
Princette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #2 
Noko

I resealed three tanks totaling 70 gallons this summer. If returning the tank or getting a new one isn't an option, you need to reseal the entire tank. Patching a little area will be effective now, but silicone doesn't stick to silicone very well so in the future that leak will more than likely return.
I didn't use the pricey aquarium silicone, I went to my local hardware shop and purchased a big tube of silicone, but if you are only resealing a small tank, aquarium silicone should be cheap enough. I don't remember what kind of silicone I used, but it has to be a very specific kind (100% silicone, no mold or mildew protection, etc...).
I will say, I got someone else to actually spread the silicone because it gets difficult trying to spread it evenly. Just find yourself a good tutorial.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #3 
Aqua Aurora

+1 the above. My 55g sprung a leak at the bottom panel of glass this year (so glad I was home when it happened). I had to drain and move everything to a 40g breeder I thankful had, spend a good 2 days scraping off ALL the old silicone (utility/razor/safety blades + rubbing alcohol and a lot of arm pressure, change to a new blade often to keep a good sharp edge). Then husband re-sealed (we used GE II door and window.. everyone says use GE I not II but we can't get that here.. if II cured long enough it is safe too-just make sure its not a mold/mildew resistant one as those have chemicals that harm anything living in the aquarium-avoid "bathroom" specific silicone as they have this harmful anti mold mildew additive). We let the tank dry with a fan flowing air through it of 4 days (silicone was completely dry and had no smell, water put in it does not get any silicone flavor to it) than did a 24 hour leak test (filled to top) it was on a concrete slab so if it failed it wouldn't be an issue. Thankfully passed test so we re-set up the tank.

Please note the info here and above is for GLASS tanks. If its acrylic that is a different beast, acrylic is sealed together with a compound that basically melts 2 pieces together, I'm not sure about leak patches or re-dos with acrylic tanks.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #4 
Princette

I just woke up and now its not, leaking anymore? Theres no wetness on the edge that was leaking, no water on the stand, etc. The Towel I wrapped around the tank's base to absorb all of the water is damp but there doesn't seem to be anymore water leaking from the seam.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #5 
Noko

I have a tank that wasn't properly sealed at the top when I bought it. So whenever I fill it up it leaks until the water dips below that point. I would recommend you just check all of the seals. It might be something similar to mine and only the top 1/4 of an inch isn't sealed right.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #6 
Princette

The water only lowered by maybe 1mm when i slept so. Either its literally right at the top of the seam or. I don't know. But its not leaking atm so. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it starts again..