Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #241 
sandybottom
Reference Team

but that makes sense,how dare you post something that makes sense?lol!
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #242 
dramaqueen
Banned

Eww, fishy poo breath. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #243 
futbol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Try pouring water in it to prime it-then use your thumb as the control valve-open and close as needed to get the water moving while holding over your waste water bucket..That is how I have to prime my 100ft python I use with gravity flow to drain outside...I have a 1gal jug of water to pour in it to prime..gets it going pretty fast....

I finally got all the new water change recommendation written up-along with a new NPT, nitrogen cycle Betta specific, reasons for fin damage with treatments, care on a budget, care in 1gal tanks, reason for SBD with treatment recommendations, difference between S/S with natural treatments, importance of supporting immune response, hard to spawn Betta with tricks and spawning triggers, Betta nutrition from birth to mature Betta and many, many more...Boy, I guess I do need to write a book....A member offered to help me write one a year or so ago...I should take em up on it...Not sure where to put any of this or if it is even wanted anymore....

Hi OLF!!

I hope your still reading the posts on here, and randomly answering people. I REALLY hope you read this one as I have a question about WC in a 1 gal unfiltered/unheated bowl:

I have 2 Bettas, each in his own 1 gal bowl. I have marbles on the bottom and 1 silk plant in each one. I've been doing 100% WC every 4-6 days, without fail now for over 2 years. According to your guidelines, this might be a bit much! But-both my fish have been healthy, never an illness, and my one boy is around 3+ years old. I feed them about 4 pellets a day only.

Should I cut down the WC to about 1x per week at 100%? Like maybe every 7 days? I think I'm being too clean with them, and don't want to create any future health problems with the fish. Your thoughts?
futbol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #244 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
I use one of these to start my siphons-
Attachment 255242
It's from python and was 7$ or something at big als. I was sick of drinking the water and this is so much easier, you just pump it a couple of times with your free hand.

I use airline, ao. It's super useful for fry tanks. I have to suck that though, but that's not too bad because I can usually avoid drinking any.
lol what a small world. I do the same thing, lol.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #245 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I think two large wc's per week is not enough in a 1g bowl. What are your readings for ammonia just before your wc?

OFL says this:
"1-4gal without a filter or live plants
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-100%"

I read this as saying. One 50% water only change per week, as well as one 100% (total cleaning) per week.

She also suggests a major (50%) change whenever ammonia reads above 0.25ppm.

Last edited by Hallyx; 12-28-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #246 
futbol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I think two large wc's per week is not enough in a 1g bowl. What are your readings for ammonia just before your wc?

OFL says this:
"1-4gal without a filter or live plants
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-100%"

I read this as saying. One 50% water only change per week, as well as one 100% (total cleaning) per week.

She also suggests a major (50%) change whenever ammonia reads above 0.25ppm.
Thanks for responding Hallyx!!

Wow-so I should be doing 2 complete (100%) wc's within a 7 day period? Guess I misread OFL's original post for a 1-4 gallon bowl.

What about the good bacteria then? Wouldn't I be removing too much of this with that many water changes? (I know OFL has said this could be a problem) As I mentioned, my fish have remained healthy, so I don't think it's been affecting them at all.

Honestly, I'm embarrassed to admit I don't even own an ammonia testing kit, and that's only because I've always changed the water frequently. Do you think it's necessary to still test for this in 1 gallon bowls?

Again, TX for your response. I'll wait to hear back from you
Old 12-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #247 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Concerns about "good" bacteria (nitrifying bacteria) only apply to cycled tanks. If you're cleaning your tank (100% wc) once a week, you're getting rid of any bacteria that may have developed during the week. This is good, because you're not monitoring for ammonia.

The bacteria needs circulation and air in order to develop. You provide neither of these in an unfiltered rank. So ammonia is allowed to increase between wc's. How much? You'll only know by testing your water for ammonia.

I'll try to find time later to give you a better answer.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #248 
ANHEL123

I have three bettas that each live in a one gall tank. I do 100% water changes every 4-5 days. Somehow i skip on 50% , actually never did it. Some people do partial water changes along with full water changes, and some people prefer not to at all. I really think its just depends on preference or even habit. I don't see anything wrong with that and the proof is that we all have pretty old bettas. 3 + is a good age for a betta;) So I really think every 6 days is fine as long as the food does not sink to the bottom. I am always really careful with food. I feed one pellet at the time and wait until fish eats it, then i give another pellet. If i feed frozen food i do it the day of the water change. I don't fast my bettas but i don't overfeed them either. Going to repeat myself ,sorry, I really think futbol1 if your fish lived to 3 + years then you do something right so keep doing a good job! I also have pretty old bettas in my one gall tanks;)

My one betta at work i have problem to couch, so i change his water every 6 days. But i have turkey buster that i am using only for his tank. If i see poop or a pellet at the bottom of the tank i take it out with a turkey buster. I rinse that turkey buster after each use and keep it dry inside of the one gall bucked.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #249 
Aquatail

Hallyx, I thought it was possible for a tank to cycle even if it doesn't have a filter due to the bacteria growing on other things like the tank walls and decorations?
Aquatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #250 
futbol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Concerns about "good" bacteria (nitrifying bacteria) only apply to cycled tanks. If you're cleaning your tank (100% wc) once a week, you're getting rid of any bacteria that may have developed during the week. This is good, because you're not monitoring for ammonia.

The bacteria needs circulation and air in order to develop. You provide neither of these in an unfiltered rank. So ammonia is allowed to increase between wc's. How much? You'll only know by testing your water for ammonia.

I'll try to find time later to give you a better answer.
Thanks Hallyx! I better understand now about the whole bacteria thing. So, basically, ammonia would be my biggest issue, and with frequent WC's, I should be able to keep that in check.