Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #251 
futbol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I have three bettas that each live in a one gall tank. I do 100% water changes every 4-5 days. Somehow i skip on 50% , actually never did it. Some people do partial water changes along with full water changes, and some people prefer not to at all. I really think its just depends on preference or even habit. I don't see anything wrong with that and the proof is that we all have pretty old bettas. 3 + is a good age for a betta;) So I really think every 6 days is fine as long as the food does not sink to the bottom. I am always really careful with food. I feed one pellet at the time and wait until fish eats it, then i give another pellet. If i feed frozen food i do it the day of the water change. I don't fast my bettas but i don't overfeed them either. Going to repeat myself ,sorry, I really think futbol1 if your fish lived to 3 + years then you do something right so keep doing a good job! I also have pretty old bettas in my one gall tanks;)

My one betta at work i have problem to couch, so i change his water every 6 days. But i have turkey buster that i am using only for his tank. If i see poop or a pellet at the bottom of the tank i take it out with a turkey buster. I rinse that turkey buster after each use and keep it dry inside of the one gall bucked.
Thanks ANHEL!

Sounds like we do pretty similar wc/feeding routines with our fish! So I guess if it's not broke, don't fix it!

Guess I'll stick with the every 4-6 day changes, as they have been working fine for me.

I'm dealing with a new tailbiting issue now with my younger Betta, so that's my new priority now. Did you ever have this with any of your fish?
futbol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #252 
ANHEL123

Yes i would not change anything. You have 2 bettas that lived old enough with those water changes schedule , i have old bettas with the same water changes so looks like we do something right:)

Tail biters. Not really experienced with my own fish. I had one that actually died a few month ago. He was 4 years old . He bit his tail about 7 times only. So i was lucky with him. Not really sure why he bit and why he stopped biting it. I had silk plants in his tank, glass thermometer, a few suction cups to distract him, toys outside of his tank. I think i did change the location of the tank once, i don't remember.

Tail bitters can be a habit, some guys just keep doing it after they started. People recommending to rearrange the decor,add more hiding places, add toys(some people use plastic bottle tops off soda bottles). If you have light try to see if it bother him; if the tank has a lot of light from outside may be it also bothers him. Someone said that floating plants helps sometimes.
With tail biters , if you can't stop him , check on his tail daily to make sure its not getting infected. Infection: you don't want to see '' smudged'',black discolored , frayed edges, bloody tips.

If you decide to buy live plants please quarantine them in the water for a wk I know i am dramatic but i always afraid people can buy live plants that carry ich on them. I know its happens rarely but you can be the one that it happened to. If you trust your store and sure they don't keep the plants in the same tank with fish then its fine. So just keep plants in the water for a wk or longer in case it has parasites on them . Parasites dies without a host.
ANHEL123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #253 
harrypotter

When doing water changes, I have always added the conditioner to the new water and let sit 12 hours before doing a 100% water change. Is this necessary? Or can I just change the water right now? (Sick betta, I would have peace of mind if I did a water change but I'm not sure he has 12 hours left in him)
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #254 
ao
TFK Moderator

the water conditioner works right away, there is no need to let it sit :) I would say to go ahead and change out his water slowly. Try to have his new water at the same temperature as the old!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #255 
futbol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Yes i would not change anything. You have 2 bettas that lived old enough with those water changes schedule , i have old bettas with the same water changes so looks like we do something right:)

Tail biters. Not really experienced with my own fish. I had one that actually died a few month ago. He was 4 years old . He bit his tail about 7 times only. So i was lucky with him. Not really sure why he bit and why he stopped biting it. I had silk plants in his tank, glass thermometer, a few suction cups to distract him, toys outside of his tank. I think i did change the location of the tank once, i don't remember.

Tail bitters can be a habit, some guys just keep doing it after they started. People recommending to rearrange the decor,add more hiding places, add toys(some people use plastic bottle tops off soda bottles). If you have light try to see if it bother him; if the tank has a lot of light from outside may be it also bothers him. Someone said that floating plants helps sometimes.
With tail biters , if you can't stop him , check on his tail daily to make sure its not getting infected. Infection: you don't want to see '' smudged'',black discolored , frayed edges, bloody tips.

If you decide to buy live plants please quarantine them in the water for a wk I know i am dramatic but i always afraid people can buy live plants that carry ich on them. I know its happens rarely but you can be the one that it happened to. If you trust your store and sure they don't keep the plants in the same tank with fish then its fine. So just keep plants in the water for a wk or longer in case it has parasites on them . Parasites dies without a host.
Such great info-thanks again! Your fish get such great care-we'll have to talk more often so I could get more advice from you!!

My younger Betta just started this biting recently, and I've only had him since late August. We went away on Friday, came back Sunday afternoon. When I went to the tank to feed him, I was shocked at the condition of his fins. He was also RAVENOUS-as if he hadn't eaten in a month!

I think maybe 2 things caused this new behavior:Me being away and not giving him the usual attention, and he became stressed and confused; Or, he was just hungry and took it out on his tail.

He seemed to love his 1 gallon tank, but I made a decision today to upgrade to a 2 gallon. My older Betta loves his 1 gallon, and never tailbit, so I'm leaving him in that.

I put him in the new 2 gallon today, added some silk plants, and API Stresscoat along with a pinch of Kosher salt. He doesn't seem to be any different in the bigger tank; No more tailbiting, as far as I can see. But I have my eye on him.

Another poster told me to do daily 100% WC's with the Stresscoat and salt for the next week until his fins start to heal. Do you agree with this? It sounds like a good treatment plan to me.

How often would you recommend 100% water changes on a 2 gallon tank for the future? I figure maybe every 7 days? But until the fins heal, I'll do the daily changes, even though that's more difficult in the bigger tank.

I do worry that this biting will become a habit now, and I really hope it doesn't. I guess only time will tell.

Thanks again for your valuable advice!!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #256 
harrypotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
the water conditioner works right away, there is no need to let it sit :) I would say to go ahead and change out his water slowly. Try to have his new water at the same temperature as the old!
Thank you!! I will change his water right now. Fingers cross it makes him perk up some.
harrypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #257 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
the water conditioner works right away, there is no need to let it sit ...
Not only is there no need, but letting conditioned water sit actually reduces the effectiveness of the conditioner.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #258 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol1 View Post
Such great info-thanks again! Your fish get such great care-we'll have to talk more often so I could get more advice from you!!

My younger Betta just started this biting recently, and I've only had him since late August. We went away on Friday, came back Sunday afternoon. When I went to the tank to feed him, I was shocked at the condition of his fins. He was also RAVENOUS-as if he hadn't eaten in a month!

I think maybe 2 things caused this new behavior:Me being away and not giving him the usual attention, and he became stressed and confused; Or, he was just hungry and took it out on his tail.

He seemed to love his 1 gallon tank, but I made a decision today to upgrade to a 2 gallon. My older Betta loves his 1 gallon, and never tailbit, so I'm leaving him in that.

I put him in the new 2 gallon today, added some silk plants, and API Stresscoat along with a pinch of Kosher salt. He doesn't seem to be any different in the bigger tank; No more tailbiting, as far as I can see. But I have my eye on him.

Another poster told me to do daily 100% WC's with the Stresscoat and salt for the next week until his fins start to heal. Do you agree with this? It sounds like a good treatment plan to me.

How often would you recommend 100% water changes on a 2 gallon tank for the future? I figure maybe every 7 days? But until the fins heal, I'll do the daily changes, even though that's more difficult in the bigger tank.

I do worry that this biting will become a habit now, and I really hope it doesn't. I guess only time will tell.

Thanks again for your valuable advice!!
lol futbol1 you have as much experience as i do with your 3+ y old bettas. I love this forum , you can find great advice here. I am learning something new every day from reading other people posts:)

Water changes every 6 days for 2 gall is fine. Again no food on the bottom. If you think that some food sinking to the bottom you will need more water changes.

For your tail biter. You do not need to do daily water changes . You do not need to add salt . Salt is very beneficial when fish has mild fin rot or any other mild infection, otherwise you don't need to stress him with daily water changes and salt. If it tail biting ,the only one preventative care is clean water. You do not want to treat your fish every time he bites his tail. Some sites recommending to add aquarium salt on regular basis which is wrong. Salt long term doesn't prevent disease or parasites ,and long term use can cause resistant pathogens/parasites issue ...and long term non-therapeutic dosage can limit it ability to work for treatment when needed. So do not add any salt unless you know he has infection. And when you use salt it should be right therapeutic dosage and duration of the treatment.

Stress coat is fine to use. Many people recommending to use it for damaged fins. Its had tea tree oil and good for a healing.Stress coat also a water conditioner so i think you don't need to use it all the time since you adding a water conditioner already. I guess you can use stress coat while his fins are damaged from the biting. Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

Its funny that you mentioned that he might be hungry that why he bit his fins. Someone here wrote that it also can be a cause of biting sometimes. How much you feed them? What brand of the food you feeding them? Did you ever tried to feed them frozen food?

I am so sorry i really don't know if all this discussion we should make another thread since this thread is for Oldfishlady water changes. I guess if you want you can make another thread and let us know so we know to check on it:)

Last edited by ANHEL123; 12-31-2013 at 10:57 AM.
ANHEL123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #259 
futbol1

ANHEL: I just bumped up a thread I have on fish diseases and emergencies titled 'Just returned from a 2 day trip to a Betta with some tail missing'. We can continue this topic on that one, and I'll also answer your questions about the foods I feed him on that too. Yes, this thread is old so best we move off it!!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #260 
RedResilience

Hello! I am brand new here. :) I just got a betta fish the other day. This is the type of tank I have:

Tanks:
1-4gal without a filter or live plants
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-100%

What does the 1-100% mean? ><

Thanks!
RedResilience is offline   Reply With Quote