Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #261 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A 100^ water change means removing the fish and totally cleaning everythjing in the tank, including the substrate. I find this procedure stressful for fish and keeper, so I always recommend a minimum 2g tank which can be cycled.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #262 
RedResilience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
A 100^ water change means removing the fish and totally cleaning everythjing in the tank, including the substrate. I find this procedure stressful for fish and keeper, so I always recommend a minimum 2g tank which can be cycled.
Oh ok. That is true... I work at PetSmart so maybe I'll get a nice 2-5 gallon once I save a little money. They have some good fish sales now though... Thank you! :)
RedResilience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:16 AM   #263 
lilphischee

2.5 gal tank with live plant/ unfiltered

My tank is 2.5 gals and has a recovering fishy. He had red sores (thankfully gone and healing) and fin rot (healing now). We were changing his water quite often so I have relaxed since he bas been healing. How often should I change water with my tank without a filter but with a live plant?

Name:  20140219_102703.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  53.4 KB
lilphischee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #264 
ANHEL123

For your tank you can do either 2-50% and one full water change a wk OR you can do what i do . I do one full water change every 5 days.
Make sure you acclimate him when you do a full water change(the new water temperature has to approximately match his water temperature). Let us know if you need any instructions on that.
Do you think he still has fin rot?"smudged" , darkened , ragged or frayed edges, fins falling apart in chunks-this indicates fin rot.
If they are the same color as his body, or have white/clear tips, this indicates normal growth
If he still has fin rot i would do more water changes and if you have stress coat , it would help with healing. Did you treat him with medications or salt?

Good nutritional food will help with recovery . What kind of food you feeding him?
Also frozen blood worms are really good source of the protein and good for an immune system.
Bloodworms - Cubes - 3.5 oz. - Frozen | thatpetplace.com
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #265 
lilphischee

Thank you, what does 2-50% mean? 20-50? Also the very first post in this thread says you shouldnt do 100% changes with live plants, did you mean 100% when you said 'full' water changes?. I am thinking of getting a vaccuum to help reduce stuff on the bottom. Also here is a picture of fishy from this morning, I was told by someone on another forum that he looks to be on the mend. You can see the recent treatment via this thread here Fungus? Help. He eats pellets. He doesnt like any other type of food not even bloodworms. We have trued and he doesnt eat them. Only eats pellets (loves them).
Name:  2014-02-20 09.43.58.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  2014-02-20 09.45.02.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  39.0 KB
lilphischee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #266 
futbol1

[quote=lilphischee;3966122]Thank you, what does 2-50% mean? 20-50? Also the very first post in this thread says you shouldnt do 100% changes with live plants, did you mean 100% when you said 'full' water changes?. I am thinking of getting a vaccuum to help reduce stuff on the bottom. Also here is a picture of fishy from this morning, I was told by someone on another forum that he looks to be on the mend. You can see the recent treatment via this thread here Fungus? Help. He eats pellets. He doesnt like any other type of food not even bloodworms. We have trued and he doesnt eat them. Only eats pellets (loves them).
Attachment 300210

Attachment 300218[/quote

2-50% is 2 half tank water changes a week, meaning you empty just half the water in the tank twice a week and add that half back with fresh water. And a full water change does mean 100% of the water emptied out and changed.

Can't help with your question about a full water change with live plants, but ANHEL is one of the forum experts on here and will give you advice with everything else.

Your fish looks great by the way!!
futbol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #267 
ANHEL123

Sorry it took me ling time to write since i am at woks and busy, just saw your post futbol1:) Sorry if i will repeat what futbol said
I think it also a good idea to wait for Taeanna reply since she was helping you already in your other thread. 2-50% I meant to do 2- 50% water changes and one- 100%( full water change) PER week. And looks like he is improving if he went from not eating since 1/29 to eating .I would continue what you was doing with frequent water changes , stress coat and not sure if you still using almond tea leaf.
Are you still adding Quick start though? You really don't need it.
About full water changes with life plants - people don't recommend to do full water changes if you have heavy planted tank which is not what you have. So you can continue with full water changes.
He looks better ,and i think there are fins regrowth on the first picture. How long ago the second picture from?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #268 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's OK if he eats only pellets. For fin recovery, he should get the best quality pellets you can buy..... New Life Spectrum Betta pellets or Omega One Betta Buffet.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #269 
tlatch89

I have a question about the 1-4 gallon water changes with live plants and a filter. I re scaped my tank and drain about 85% of the water. There is no guide in the first post about water changes with live plants.

What is recommended? It seems like the aquarium with healthy live plants doesn't care if you change the water or not, the filter is just there for cleaning debris, and the plants take care of the ammonia and chemical filtration.

Normally I do 1 50% every week, but like I said there is no guide to follow based on whats healthiest for the fish, plants, and tank in general.

Last edited by tlatch89; 03-14-2014 at 08:23 AM.
tlatch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #270 
Hallyx
Reference Team

With a planted tank the primary reason for water changes is to remove dissolved waste that the plants don't use, and to replace minerals that the livestock and plants use up. A weekly 50% wc fulfills these requirements.

In larger tank sizes you can go longer, but for a 1g to 4g I'd stick with weekly.