Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #301 
pfenty

Thanks !!!
pfenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #302 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
Awsome, nicely layed out and dummy proof. You just taught multiple people something
BlueLacee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #303 
spiritbettalady

1-4gal with a filter
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month

Because I am new I am not understanding the fish language yet. Can you please explain this to me in more simple terms? Especially stir and dip and 1-50%. Most appreciated.
spiritbettalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #304 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It means to stir the substrate a little to loosen the waste, then dip it out with a large cup. This is really inefficient.

Better you should buy a small siphon from the fish store. As you're removing water, the suction is used to vacuum the substrate. Do this every water change.

1-50% is a once per week 50% water change.

If you change half your water twice per week (dosing Prime @ 2-drops/gal) you tank will "cycle"in a cupople of months. This is what you want to happen. Dose Prime @ 1-drop/gal/day until then.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #305 
spiritbettalady

Thank you so much Hally. Is Prime what most people are using? Should I be testing the PH in a 2.5 gallon?
spiritbettalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #306 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Most of us use Prime because it's an excellent declorinator and ammoni-locker. Detoxifying ammonia is important in a small and/or cycling tank. It's a good value, because it's concentrated. It's also easy to dose: by the drop.

The pH is probably not critical but, if you're cycling that 2.5g tank, you really ought to have a liquid test kit for safety. This is what most of us use:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379756505&sr=8-1&keywords=API+freshwater]Amazon.com : API Freshwater Master Test Kit : Aquarium Test Kits : Pet Supplies[/ame]

A 2.5g tank is right on the cusp. You can cycle it or you can keep it unfiltered with just 2-50% weekly water changes with Prime (and an occasional thorough cleaning.) Your choice.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:05 AM   #307 
MantisFTW

Could someone explain what swishing the filter media is? Does that literally mean taking the old filter cartridge out, setting it in the tank, and swishing it until the stuff comes off? If so I really don't understand why that would be a good thing. Im used to just taking the old cartridge out and putting a new one in.
MantisFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #308 
beautiful Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisFTW View Post
Could someone explain what swishing the filter media is? Does that literally mean taking the old filter cartridge out, setting it in the tank, and swishing it until the stuff comes off? If so I really don't understand why that would be a good thing. Im used to just taking the old cartridge out and putting a new one in.
Hi, This how to give the filter media/sponge a clean. You normally do this when cleaning your tank. However I don't do mine every week, I do my filter media about once a month. And you don't actually do this in your tank, that would be putting the dirt removed back in the tank and likely sucked back into the filter so waste of time cleaning, lol. But you do use the tank water that you are going to throw out so you don't destroy any beneficial bacteria in the media. Just dunk it in the water and give it a squeeze, you don't want it squeaky clean, just most of the gunk off of it.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #309 
MantisFTW

Ah, that clears things up a lot haha. Thank you
MantisFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #310 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A lot of the bacteria is in the filter pad, ao you don't want to replace it and throw all that bacteria away. Only replace it when it's falling apart.