Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #41 
Lisa1010

Ugh! Sometimes I feel so confused and like I should give my beautiful girl back to the store so I don't risk killing her by my lack of knowing what is the right thing to do. Although I have had her for 2 months and she seems healthy and happy. It would just be a big heart break for me if I did something to kill her.

Oldfishlady, you said in the original test of the post...

1-4gal with/without filter and with live plants-
This can vary based on number, specie and growth state of the plants. Generally with live plants even without a filter you don't want to make 100% water changes...

This is my setup, I have a 2.5 gal heated tank. I took the filter out because apparently I don't need it in a small tank. I also have two small live plants in the tank which really don't seem like they are growing any. They appear to me to be the same size as when I bought them 2 months ago although they also seem healthy. I also have a moss ball in the tank. I feed her 2-3 pellets twice a day and she is eating every pellet so there is none falling to the bottom of the tank.

So my question is do I need to do 100% water changes every week or no?

When I do the 100% water changes I rinse in hot water everything but the plants, I rinse them in cool water. I also whip out the tank and put everything back then add my aged well water. I have not been using any conditioner but it has been advised so I will get some Prime this weekend and start doing that. Which I am sure I will have questions on that also! lol

I have only been doing 100% changes once a week, and no 50% changes.

I am doing this right or no?

Thank you for responding!

Lisa
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #42 
bettasplash

question

Please stay on topic

If you will start a new thread and include the sticky info sheet-I will be happy to help you

Thank you.

Last edited by bettasplash; 10-31-2012 at 03:06 PM.
bettasplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #43 
Oldfishlady

What species are the plants and are they rooted? For plants to help with water quality they need to be in active growth and using the byproducts in the tank so they are not harmful to the Betta. Not all plants are good at this or use enough of the byproducts. Numbers, species and growth state of the plants makes a difference.

With rooted plants-you don't want to disrupt the roots with 100% water changes. You can also, make larger volume changes without disruption of the roots by making light vacuum or stir and dip method-removing 90% of the water.

Lights are a big factor with live plants-without the proper color temp the plants can't get the energy needed for proper growth and to use the byproducts in the tank.
What kind of lights, age of bulbs, kelvin and photoperiod.

I have well water and don't use dechlorinator products, however, all well water can be different and it can change with the season and weather changes. I am not saying you don't need a dechlorinator-just that you might not need it either. IMO/E-the less chemical additives the better
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #44 
whimsicalbrainpan

Thank you so much for this post OFL!
whimsicalbrainpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #45 
Lisa1010

I think I have 2 different kinds of Anubias. One is Anubias Congensis with the tall leaves and the other I can't remember but it is pictured in my avatar with the flatter bigger leaves that they can lay on. That pic was taken the day I got them and the plant is no bigger. I have them buried under my gravel with smooth marble on top of that and a pot in between them. Did I bury them too much?

The light that I have been using is an LED light which gives off no heat and I do not have it directly over the tank but more to the side of the tank so I imagine the plant gets nothing from it. I have the tank sitting by my kitchen window but again off to the side so it is not getting direct sunlight. Will my plants eventually die?

So if this is what is considered rooted, then I shouldn't be doing 100% water changes in order to help the plants grow?

How do you get all the waste out of the tank if you don't do 100% changes? I guess I need to go and get a baster and see if I can suck up the bad stuff!

The weather is changing for sure so I will get the water tested again to make sure it is still good.

So do I sound crazy with all these questions? lol

I just want to make sure I am learning all I can to make sure she has a long happy, healthy life with me!

Thanks for "holding my hand" while I am learning! Makes me feel better knowing someone is out there to help newbies like me, and there have been a few of you who have really helped me!

Thank you OFL for replying! I really appreciate all this information!

Lisa
Old 10-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #46 
Oldfishlady

No, not crazy at all.....

Anubias is a slow growing, low feeding plant and its not a rooted plant-it should be tied/anchored to something like driftwood, rock or decoration of some type. The rhizome needs to be above the substrate-otherwise it can rot.

Since you have Anubias-you can remove it to make 100% water changes if you feel you need to make them, however, IMO/E they are not needed-but it shouldn't hurt either.

Since you are also getting natural light from the window-that should be plenty for the plant photosynthesis-most of the LED lights are not suited for plant growth-but the species of plant you have are a low light plant-if you opt for other species of plants you will most likely need to change your lights.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #47 
Lisa1010

Ok, One more question then. How do I tie or anchor the plants down? What do I use, just plain string or should I go to the store and buy something special?

Thanks for not thinking I am crazy with these questions.

Lisa
Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #48 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1010 View Post
Ok, One more question then. How do I tie or anchor the plants down? What do I use, just plain string or should I go to the store and buy something special?

Thanks for not thinking I am crazy with these questions.

Lisa
I use plain cotton thread-but anything will work...fishing line, rubber band...etc...
Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #49 
Lisa1010

Oh, fishing line! I have that so that is what I will use.

I am going to change her tank today so I can get those plants right and hopefully they will start growing.

Thanks again for all your help!

Do I need to wash everything in hot water though or just lightly rinse them?

Thanks!

Lisa
Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #50 
carbonxxkidd

This is a great post, thank you!

One question - are there any differences between how often to clean tanks with an under-gravel filter versus a power/regular filter?
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote