Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #81 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerserena View Post
Ofl i just want to make sure i understand how to change the water. I have a 2 1/2 gallon tank for my betta. So i need to take half his water out but leave him in the tank ? Then i gradually add the new treated water to his tank every few minites? Do i take his rocks out or do i transefer him to another holding cell?
What method are you using...vacuum or stir and dip method, is the tank filtered and any live plants.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #82 
rangerserena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What method are you using...vacuum or stir and dip method, is the tank filtered and any live plants.
I think stir and dip. No filter no plants. He eats new spectrum small fish food everyday,saturday fasting, and some frozen brine shrimp every three days
Attached Images

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-12-2013 at 05:00 PM.
rangerserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #83 
callistra

So in that tank size you need 2 changes a week - one 50% and one 100%.

This is how I do large water changes:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
100% needs to include a thorough rinsing of all gravel and decor.

ETA: Unless your house is remaining a constant 80F+ (meaning not even dips at night) he needs a heater. Also the stick on thermometers are pretty inaccurate so I suggest getting one of those glass in tank ones. Also watch that decor.. IDK what's up with it if anything, but I've seen multiple people on these forums posting the paint on that thing started bubbling and then their betta came down with dropsy soon after.

Last edited by callistra; 01-12-2013 at 04:38 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #84 
Oldfishlady

In a 2.5gal unfiltered-without live plants-Using the stir and dip method-twice weekly...1-50% and 1-90-100% to maintain water quality-provided that you don't overfeed and remove uneaten food within a reasonable time.

IMO/E-you don't need to remove everything on a weekly bases or even remove the Betta for water changes-Carefully dip out the water after you stir the substrate slightly for the 90-100%. Every month, I would cup the fish and dump everything if you felt the need, however, IMO/E that isn't needed that often either-unless you overfeed or your water doesn't clean within an hour after a water change.

This is a copy/paste from an earlier post I made:
The stir and dip method is sometimes used for the smaller tanks that are hard to vacuum or when you don't have a vacuum to use or with lightly planted tanks with inert substrate.

What I do-I use chopsticks or anything will work to stir the inert substrate a bit to bring some of the mulm/debris up into the water column. Then using a cup-dip half the water out of the tank.
If you have a filter-turn this off before you start-as well as unplug the heater for any water change.
Refill
Once refilled-the tank should clear within the hour-you can't and don't want to remove all the mulm/debris-some is good for the system.
If the tank doesn't clear within the hour-you either missed a weekly water change, overstocked or overfeeding
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #85 
Sparrowhawk

Just a quick question, not really urgent but would definitely help in the future. Currently all three of my tanks are 3.9 gallons, unfiltered, and I do one 50% and one 100% water change weekly, with a couple of live plants attached to hidey-holes and driftwood. I notice you've said with live plants you generally don't want to do 100% changes. Are those changes that I've been doing bad for the plants?

Secondly, I'm planning to do a huge overhaul of all three tanks in the next couple of months, introducing quite a few live plants to each, including loads more anubias (multiple varieties hopefully), fontinalis and water sprite (which I already have, but more of it). I have bare-bottom tanks for ease of cleaning, and plan to keep it that way, with all plants attached to hardscape.

What water change schedule would you recommend for that setup?

Thanks in advance for any advice given! ^.^
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #86 
Oldfishlady

If the plants are thriving-I would make 1-2 50% weekly water changes. Its up to the plants IME- As long as they are thriving and you see active growth-they are using byproducts in the tank to keep the water filtered to maintain your water quality. The more active growing plants the less water changes you need-but at least 1-50% weekly....
Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #87 
Sparrowhawk

Thank you very much for the advice!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #88 
rangerserena

I just stared up my 50 gal tank. 10 fish no plants yet, marineland emperor biowheel filter. How many changes would you suggest? I do plan on getting some live plants how many would you suggest and can i add a few more fish? And how much would those additions alter my change schedual?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #89 
Oldfishlady

In a 50gal cycled with a few live plants-stocked with 10 fish-50% with vacuum weekly.

During the nitrogen cycle.

If you have a test kit on hand-monitor water prams daily and make 50% water only with test results of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater and 50% with vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots every week-this is the water change you will do for the life of the tank to maintain water quality once the nitrogen cycle has established.

If you don't have a test kit on hand-make the 50% water only between the 50% with vacuum to be safe. You also will want to make a 50% water only anytime you see abnormal fish behavior, fish death, removal of a sick fish as a general rule.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #90 
rangerserena

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
In a 50gal cycled with a few live plants-stocked with 10 fish-50% with vacuum weekly.

During the nitrogen cycle.

If you have a test kit on hand-monitor water prams daily and make 50% water only with test results of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater and 50% with vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots every week-this is the water change you will do for the life of the tank to maintain water quality once the nitrogen cycle has established.

If you don't have a test kit on hand-make the 50% water only between the 50% with vacuum to be safe. You also will want to make a 50% water only anytime you see abnormal fish behavior, fish death, removal of a sick fish as a general rule.
So when i do this water change i just treat the new water in its own bucket for only that amount that was removed then add it to my tank with the fish still in it right?