Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Transporting Betta's and living in temporary tanks

So I just learned today I'll be going back to MN next month to rerecord something for the bands single. We would be gone a grand total of 1 week and in that time I know I have to take my rats since no one I know could properly care for them but then I thought about my fish as well. It would be hard to tell someone what my fishes basic program is, water changes, fasting, and overall daily temp checks and water testing.

So now I am thinking I want to bring my fish with me to MN however how would I transport them (an adult and a younger fry) without over stressing them and then the fact they have to travel from Texas to MN and then live in a tank that is NOT their tank?

I figured I will need some sort of transport containers that will aid in keeping stress low, in their tank water plus daily changes though we will drive on straight through with no stops. I would also be bringing a 1 gallon milk jugs of already pretreated water for their mini temp tanks that would be set up at my house and their heaters. Now the question is how to do this with the least amount of stress for my fish and make the transport safe? Anyone ship fish before and what is the best method? Also do you feed before transportation? During? Is it best to not feed until they settle into the temp tanks in MN? Also keeping them warm on the trip over since they won't have heaters. How would one do that? I might think up more questions as I go so I have a whole month to prep for this and make is as easy on my fish as possible.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #2 
Creat

My fish, if possible travel in my car, I use tupperware containers half full and inside of a styrofoam cooler. Just be sure not to leave your car in the hot sun though. Keeping jugs of water filled at the old place is a good idea that way the water has the same parameters. Pre-conditioned makes it easier too. Traveling in general isnt recommended as it is super stressful. I usually have some one come over every 3 days for feeding and once for a 100% water change.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

I wish I had someone to come over but I moved to Texas a month ago and know no one other than my band mates who are all going to MN as well so moving them is inevitable at this point unless one of the bandmember's family members decided to house sit :/ Even then i wouldn't trust them with my rats because they are so high maintenance and I don't know if they would have any prior knowledge on fish care let alone betta care.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #4 
Creat

I totally understand how that is... I have had to many people kill my babies one to many times. But keeping their water the same is the best bet for them staying healthy even with stress.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

Thanks, I might even bring two gallons of water pretreated from our house just in case. Also since I am going from Texas a hot ass state back to MN a cold ass state can I buy heat packs I can put in a cooler with the jugs of water and then some sort of heating system I can put with the betta? Like those rice bags you can heat up in the microwave? Would those retain heat long enough for an 18 hour car ride? I don't want to get into MN and have the temp in their water drop.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #6 
Creat

I would reccommend the heat packs for the betta, wrap them in news paper before sticking them in they make 24 hr ones and that would probably be the best bet. You really dont need to heat the jugs until you need to move the betta into clean water. But TX water is differnet from MN so my biggest worry would be differences in pH and hard metals the more pre conditioned water the less stress on them.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Yeah I'll ring lots of preconditioned water in old water jugs (one gallon each, two jugs total) so the whole time I am there I can change the water and not worry about needing to use the water at Minnesota. Will adding stresscoat to the preconditioned water also help? Aquarium salt? Anything extra like that?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #8 
Creat

I always use api stresscoat water conditioner. There are things made for traveling but persoanlly I dont use them unless they are bagged and shipped, I think in your case the more normal it is the better. Adding oak leaves/ other tannins will help ward of disease like the stress coat will but its up to you what you want to add if anything.
Oh and I forgot to mention if you fill the containers up most of the way you will want to open them everyfew hours for a few minutes to let the water and air exchange, I tend to fiill containers half way. And air them every 3-4 hrs.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

Alright, I have stresscoat I normally put into the tank when I change out the water and I might put an oak leaf in each container just to even add some sort of comfort to hide under. Thanks for all your help so far Creat you are truly a life saver.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #10 
Creat

No problem I have tried moving everything by car lol even my chickens went in the car too lol. I think they will be fine especially if your checking on them. But dont check to much it will stress them lol.