Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Is My Tank Not Cycling or what?

So I was confused, I have been cycling this thing for three weeks now going onto a fourth once we hit tomorrow.

I have been keeping readings for three days now and tracking them because I wanted to see if there was any progress. Remember these past three days of record keeping have been within the third week of cycling this tank. I'll also write what I do for water changes and if there is something I am doing wrong.

Cycling with fish in tank.

I test the water every day aside from the days after I clean the tank. 50% water changes on Sundays and Wensdays. Rinse out filter in TANKS water every water change. Saturday partial vacume of gravel, Wen full vaccume of gravel. Rinse off plants and sides of tank with spoung. Suck up leftover food. Clean out glass jar and change air in it.

Now test readings.

Baseline readings.
PH:7.4
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Additive with API water conditioner baseline:
PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0

Yeah I thought it was odd all the ammonia in the water just vanished and the PH went up.

Saturday:
PH: 7.6 (it's pretty consistent from here)

Sunday:
Ammonia: .50
And the tank was cleaned, filter rinsed in tank water, light vacuum.Walls and decor cleaned.

Tuesday:

Tomorrow tank gets a clean with 50% water drain and fill vacuum but I won't rinse the filter in case that is what is causing it. I will however keep the filter in the tank water and float/sink it so it's not sitting in the filtration while it's off and out of the water. See if that might help? I'll post my readings for tomorrow too.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

Oh and it's only 5 gallon.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #3 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
So I was confused, I have been cycling this thing for three weeks now going onto a fourth once we hit tomorrow.

I have been keeping readings for three days now and tracking them because I wanted to see if there was any progress. Remember these past three days of record keeping have been within the third week of cycling this tank. I'll also write what I do for water changes and if there is something I am doing wrong.

Cycling with fish in tank.

I test the water every day aside from the days after I clean the tank. 50% water changes on Sundays and Wensdays. Rinse out filter in TANKS water every water change. Saturday partial vacume of gravel, Wen full vaccume of gravel. Rinse off plants and sides of tank with spoung. Suck up leftover food. Clean out glass jar and change air in it.

Now test readings.

Baseline readings.
PH:7.4

Additive with API water conditioner baseline:
Ammonia: 0

Yeah I thought it was odd all the ammonia in the water just vanished and the PH went up.

Saturday:
PH: 7.6 (it's pretty consistent from here)

Sunday:
And the tank was cleaned, filter rinsed in tank water, light vacuum.Walls and decor cleaned.

Tuesday:

Tomorrow tank gets a clean with 50% water drain and fill vacuum but I won't rinse the filter in case that is what is causing it. I will however keep the filter in the tank water and float/sink it so it's not sitting in the filtration while it's off and out of the water. See if that might help? I'll post my readings for tomorrow too.
Yup the problem is your rinsing the filter. The bacteria have not set in and your washing them off. If your filter uses filter floss and carbon replace it with a sponge. This will provide you with more surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on.

Do not clean your tank so thoroughly. Leave the glass, decoration and plants alone. Beneficial bacteria will grow on those surfaces as well. Just glide the gravel vac a half inch over your gravel and try not to disturb it. You're really over doing it. Its not a hospital operating room. You want the bacteria to grow. In order for the bacteria to thrive it needs food. Poop and the fishes respiration release ammonia into the water. You need to allow your tank to have some ammonia or you will never get the bacteria to multiply.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Its rinsing the filter. That kills the BB.
You can swish the cartridge in a bucket of USED tank water to remove debris.

I throroughly siphoned my gravel but I never rinsed off any decor or tank walls unless it was noticeably very gross looking.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #5 
sarahspins

If it makes you feel any better I'm going on 3 weeks with my bookshelf tank now and it isn't showing any signs of cycling. I haven't touched the filter and I've been doing water changes to keep ammonia under .5 but I've yet to see any nitrites or nitrates. I even added some safe start 5 days ago and still nothing.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

And Teeny, I only wash the filter off in the actual tank by dipping it about five times, not in a sink or bucket.

I want to kind of get safestart to help kickstart the cycling since I feel like nothing is growing in the tank and I REALLY want to get my shrimp which I can't have until the tank is fully cycled. D: I know pulling out the filter it looks very dirty, it has brown stains on it, is this a good thing? if this the bb growing on it or just brown algae? Also the reason I clean my walls and decor so often is because it all gets very slimy. Is this the bb or just fish gunk?

Readings for today:

Temp: 80

50% water change today, vacuum gravel, not cleaning decor or tank walls and leaving filter alone to see if anything improved from that.

I really hope something happens soon, even just a little nitrite in the water would make me squee with joy.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 09-26-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The hardest part of cycling is waiting for the bacteria to fall out of the sky into your tank.

The brown stain in your filter is nitrifying bacteria that you want. So is some of the slime on the walls and decor. Leave it.

Aerate your tank as much as you can...airstone, sponge filter.

I've heard some good reports on Tetra Safestart, Dr Tim's One-and-Only, TLC Smartstart, and there are others. I'm in the middle of researching these"bacteria" products.

Sarah, please let me know your results.

Btw, most experienced keepers here would recommend you keep your ammonia below 0.25ppm if you have a fish in the tank.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #8 
starrlamia

cycling with fish in takes a lot longer IME because you have to keep the ammonia down to safe levels which means bacteria grows more slowly. If you want to speed it up you can always buy some bacteria in a bottle. Most are crap but I have had very good results with seachem stability.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #9 
goldfishyman

Biochem stars seem to adhere beneficial bacteria better. I got nitrate readings in less than 2 weeks. Really you need to do less cleaning of your tank. You have been washing off the beneficial bacteria even by rinsing your filter in tank water in a bucket.Leave the filter alone unless your flow rate is slowing down a lot. If your using filter floss change to a sponge insert. Leave the slime on the glass its beneficial bacteria. Algae is green or brown even this is ok to leave on your glass as it will help with bio waste conversion.

If you can't let the tank do its thing it will never cycle. Almost seems like you got a bit of Obsessive compulsiveness. If you do have a thing about things being clean this is not the right hobby for you.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Whoa, Dude. That was entirely uncalled for. Many new keepers don't have an instinctive feel for the balance between clean enough for a healthy environment and funky enough to support beneficial bacteria.

That's something that comes with experience and with knowledge learned, from among other places, the gentle coaching and advice provided by members of this forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote