Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Finn, when I clicked on it, it told me the cart was empty... Repost? :)
Oh lol...Well it was just the sponge filter, an air pump, and some airline tubing...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #12 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Oh lol...Well it was just the sponge filter, an air pump, and some airline tubing...

Yeah, that seems to be all you need :) Worth a shot, I think!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Yeah, that seems to be all you need :) Worth a shot, I think!
Yeah! Just today I was thinking about getting a sponge filter too...I like the way HOBs look better, but I can't get a straight answer on what is the gentlest GPH I can have in a 5.5 gallon is...
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #14 
Firefly85

Idk but for some reason I like the look of numbers 3 and 5 , I want to try them in my 10 gal and maybe my new 20 long set up which is not even started yet.

anyway I guess as long as they work, i don' think you can ever have too much filtration, just too much current.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Yeah but I want to know what the minimum is /:
Old 09-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #16 
toad

I have an Aqua Tech hob filter that came with my 5 gallon tank kit (bought from Wally World for $40). I pulled the intake tube up out of the filter a little bit to decrease the outflow and it's great. Of course, I have a female fish in this tank, and they are better swimmers anyway - but the current still isn't disturbing the sand or plants.

Firefly, I like the Flower shaped one the best :) But I think it's probably too big.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #17 
Lisa1010

Can I ask what a sponge filter actually does if it is just a sponge filter, an air pump, and some airline tubing?

I have a 2.5 gal tank and I have a small world filter in it that flows out the top and has what looks like charcoal in it. Not sure what it is doing either. It has been so long since I have had fish I feel kind of lost to all of this. The filters I know about suck stuff up a tube from the bottom.

Sorry, I should probably know this stuff!

Lisa
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #18 
Firefly85

Finn ~ what i have read is that for betta or fry tank you should have a turn over rate of 2 times per hour which calculates to be 11Gph for a 5.5 gallon tank, but I am currently not sure which Hob filter woudl be able to do that, if one exists.
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly85 View Post
Finn ~ what i have read is that for betta or fry tank you should have a turn over rate of 2 times per hour which calculates to be 11Gph for a 5.5 gallon tank, but I am currently not sure which Hob filter woudl be able to do that, if one exists.
Oh wow really? Well the Azoo palm filter is rated 16GPH and I was hoping to get that one but I wasn't sure if that was enough....

I've been trying to find that info all day lol. Where did you find it?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #20 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1010 View Post
Can I ask what a sponge filter actually does if it is just a sponge filter, an air pump, and some airline tubing?

I have a 2.5 gal tank and I have a small world filter in it that flows out the top and has what looks like charcoal in it. Not sure what it is doing either. It has been so long since I have had fish I feel kind of lost to all of this. The filters I know about suck stuff up a tube from the bottom.

Sorry, I should probably know this stuff!

Lisa

Never apologize for learning! :)

The sponge filter provides a surface and environment for aerobic bacteria to live on, which consume the toxins in the water. An unfiltered tank has little to no water movement, and therefore no oxygenation - meaning the aerobic bacteria can't survive (aerobic = needing oxygen). They are called biological filters for this reason. The air bubbles produced by the pump displace the water and draw it through the sponge, purifying it.

A charcoal pouch in a filter is chemical filtration. The charcoal absorbs the impurities in the water (a brita water filter works this way).

And then, there is mechanical filtration, which is when the water is forced through media of some sort, capturing and holding particles.