Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #1 
BettaBabyBoo

eBay and PayPal?

I feel rather silly, actually, but I've been courting with the idea of ordering a Betta off of eBay. I checked the seller's reviews, all were positive, and they have a DOA stipulation, as long as it is within two hours from opening the package.

The only thing is... I don't really get how everything works

I know you bid, and the highest bidder gets the item, but does PayPal take directly from your checking account if you put in your debit card info?

I just want to make sure I don't mess up and end up with an overdraft fee :p
BettaBabyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use Paypal and it takes directly from my checking account. I think you can ut money into your paypal account and it can be taken from that but not 100% sure.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #3 
BettaBabyBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I use Paypal and it takes directly from my checking account. I think you can ut money into your paypal account and it can be taken from that but not 100% sure.
So you entered your card number, and then when you win the bid, it takes the total amount from your checking account?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

It should, yes.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #5 
BettaBabyBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
It should, yes.
Thanks for the help! I'll be ordering this lovely guy within the next few days: http://m.ebay.com/itm/390788758750?nav=SEARCH

Well. Trying to
Old 03-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're welcome! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #7 
AmbiantNight

If you have money in your pay pal account it will draw from there first but once that runs out the rest will be drawn from your bank account. So on a $10 order if you have $2 in paypal it will take the $2 then draw $8 from your bank account. If you have nothing in your paypal it will draw the full $10 from your bank.
AmbiantNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:17 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

They wont take the money directly from your account unless you tell paypal to do so. Its not like you win and it gets automatically paid. You have to tell them to do it. There will be a link to pay on Ebay
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #9 
Kali

As Tikibirds said, you won't be charged the moment the auction ends, rather, after you win you'll get an email or notification informing you. It will then offer a link to "pay now". This is where you double check your address etc and card number. That's when the money will come out (whether it is withdrawn immediately depends on your bank, some can take a business day or two to clear the transaction). It's typically only after the payment has been approved that the sender will post your goods. If you ignore the Pay now link, or wait too long to pay, the sender has the option to cancel the sale and re-auction the item. (Most will send a message first, something like payment overdue, please pay now etc).

The good thing about PayPal is it offers buyer protection, in case the goods never arrive, or in case your fish is DOA (hopefully not) and the seller won't give you your money back.

Sorry for the long post, I spend A LOT of time on eBay. :D
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think it depends on how it's set up.