Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #1 
Hahenry22

Baby bettas

Petco had baby bettas for sale this weekend and I bought a few. I was wondering if it's ok to keep them in the same tank for a little while. They are too small to know what gender they are yet. I'd say they are a little more than half an inch long and barely have any color. They seem very healthy. They are all active and eat good.
Hahenry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmm... they are quite capable of agression at this age...soI really do not recommend it. stunting is also a problem if you dont do daily water changes.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #3 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahenry22 View Post
Petco had baby bettas for sale this weekend and I bought a few. I was wondering if it's ok to keep them in the same tank for a little while. They are too small to know what gender they are yet. I'd say they are a little more than half an inch long and barely have any color. They seem very healthy. They are all active and eat good.
The babies are so cute! My hubs surprised me with a baby betta a few days ago. I love her. I would say to keep them separate. They need to not be stressed out and the other betta may get them stressed out. I heard they can get pretty aggressive at young ages. Also if any have a disease the other won't get it if in a different tank. Also make sure you get an adjustable heater *very very important* keep it set to 80-82 degrees. I have a thread with some great advice from other members. if you want to check it out. Baby betta info Talks about food to give them as well. Good luck! Congrats on the little bundles of joy.
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

Keeping them warm and in clean water is vital, do a 50% water change every day and every 2-3 days do a 100% water change. Feed NLS betta pellets and if the babies are too small crush them up a little so they can eat it. Grendel worms and juvinial brine shrimp (live or frozen) are great for babies as well. Also each baby fish needs about 2-3 gallons of water to really grow in but if you want to keep them in smaller tanks for a week then upgrade them that is fine too. Heaters are vital since babies need warmer water. 80-84 degrees for a baby is best so each baby betta will need it's own heater.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

this sounds absurd... but go 90 F for optimum growth...
Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

o.o wow really? That wouldn't be to hot for them?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

XD u'd be surprised... but you should always work up to it slowly, and watch for any negative reactions :P
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #8 
Hahenry22

Thank you all for the great advice! The babies are definitely too aggressive to be together already. I tried the two tiniest ones in a tank together and they weren't exactly fighting but they couldn't stop poking at each other. So now one baby is in a tank by itself and the other two are in a large divided tank. They are very active and curious of their new environments. They love swimming in and out of the caves. It's too adorable. I'm pretty sure my husband thinks I'm losing my mind, though. I went from zero fish to 5 fish and 4 tanks in a week! lol At least it's not cats right??
Hahenry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

I will have to try warming up Nix's tank more and YAY Nix has been showing color, I'm so excited I wish my phone wasn't crap and could get semi decent pictures. Waiting for Nix's new tank to set up, gah hate waiting HATE WAITING.

Good luck on your babies and keep us updated on how they are doing.