Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #1 
Imagine

Unhappy Crowntail betta not acting normal

My baby betta that I had for a month (most likely 3-4 months old) isn't acting like his usual self. When I got home today, he was kind of standing on his belly and was clamping a bit. Also, he was kind of swimming sideways, but only a
little. I scooped him out, and noticed that his belly was a bit lighter colored than the rest of him, kind of a pinkish white color. I don't think its SBD since I haven't fed him since last night when I first saw him like that. I gave him some small pellets, and he ate them perfectly. Do you think there is anything wrong?
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #2 
Imagine

Housing: Breeder in a ten gallon tank (it's only temporary and the breeders are quite large)
What size is your tank? Look above
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? I don't think so
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Another baby betta in a breeder (I'm saving up for a divided tank for them), a small Molly and a small platy

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta pellets,the occasional freeze dried bloodworm, and occasionally unsalted, fresh raw salmon (haven't in a while though)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once on the ten gallon weekly (today's our water change day)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Don't have a test kit yet

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Look at first post
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not as active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Added a bit of salt to his QT bowl
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3-4 months
Old 09-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #3 
Imagine

Exclamation

I just looked back at him, and his fins are seriously faded. Please help guys!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #4 
Lizzie the Badger

Start doing 100% instead of only 50% percent water changes. The problem may be that the ammonia levels are too high.
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #5 
Imagine

Alright, but I thought that if your tank was already cycled you didn't need to do 100%...
Old 09-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #6 
Imagine

Bump
Old 09-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It is better not to make 100% on a cycled tank...its not needed and IMO/E 100% should be limited to once a week on a healthy Betta that are kept in less than 4gal unfiltered/unplanted tanks and only partials with an already compromised Betta to limit stress.

What I would recommend for your Betta at this point-QT in a small bare container that can be floated (attached so it doesn't sink) in the heated tank to maintain temp of 76-78F-Cover it with plastic veggie wrap to help retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ and start fresh dechlorinated water treatments and tannins.

Premix some tannin water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and allow it to steep for at least 30min and use it for 50% daily water changes for the next 4 days and see if this will perk him up.
Also, add a leaf piece to the QT to help make him feel more secure and to continue to release more tannins.

Tannin source-either IAL (1 lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal)

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals and if you have access to live mosquito larva offer several twice a day to boost protein intake to support the immune response.

Can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #8 
Imagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
It is better not to make 100% on a cycled tank...its not needed and IMO/E 100% should be limited to once a week on a healthy Betta that are kept in less than 4gal unfiltered/unplanted tanks and only partials with an already compromised Betta to limit stress.

What I would recommend for your Betta at this point-QT in a small bare container that can be floated (attached so it doesn't sink) in the heated tank to maintain temp of 76-78F-Cover it with plastic veggie wrap to help retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ and start fresh dechlorinated water treatments and tannins.

Premix some tannin water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and allow it to steep for at least 30min and use it for 50% daily water changes for the next 4 days and see if this will perk him up.
Also, add a leaf piece to the QT to help make him feel more secure and to continue to release more tannins.

Tannin source-either IAL (1 lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal)

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals and if you have access to live mosquito larva offer several twice a day to boost protein intake to support the immune response.

Can you post a pic....
My 10 gallon tank is only about 2-3 inches wide (it hangs on a wall) so I have him in his Petco container on top of the tank light since it warms up when on for a certain amount of time, and a black paper between the light and container. Is that alright? If not, is it okay is I use a plastic water bottle?

I have access to oak leaves, but how can I make sure their free of germs and stuff? And what do you mean by steep?

I do not have access to mosquito larvae, is raw fish okay?

I'm on my iPad now and can't upload pics
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

The temporary cups they come in work great for a QT-will it not fit inside the tank at all-sitting on top of the light can sometimes over heat that small amount of water. Any container will work for a temporary QT....

For the Oak leaf-as long as it is free of pesticide or harmful chemicals they are fine to use.

I would steam a small amount of the raw fish and then smash it with the side of a dull knife and feed small amount (about the size of one of his eyes) twice a day
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote