Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #1 
PaintedOaksOki

Anyone Have a Guinea Pig?

I was curious about anyone having a guinea pig on here!
If so any care tips etc. would be great! I'm putting together a presentation for my parents :p
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #2 
BettaHeart

If I am right i believe sena has g.pigs
They are so cuddly if i had a better living situation aka yard and no neighbours i would have g.pigs, rabbits, pygmy goats, a eurasier, and my fish lol
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #3 
PaintedOaksOki

I really want one but I might have to wait 'till I move out. My auntie as a GP who is named PJ he is so loveable lol.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #4 
LionCalie

Like Rabbits, Guinea pigs have a lot of special care requirements. Check out these two great websites to learn all you need to know!

http://www.guineapigcages.com

http://www.guinealynx.info
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #5 
PaintedOaksOki

I've been to guineapigcages.com before... guinealynx *sounds* formiliar but I might be loosing my marbles xD
Old 09-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

OMG guinea pigs are AWESOME!! They are the cuddliest, squishiest little nuggets!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #7 
speeddemonbk

I had THE best piggie ever, Dawson, and yes I'm biased lol. He would scream when you opened the fridge (carrots magically appeared from there) and he gave kisses on your lips but didn't bite. I had him for probably 10 years (which is a lot for a gp). I would suggest unless you don't mind playing barber, getting a short-hair. Mine was a Peruvian so he had long hair and was a wiggleworm when it came to haircuts. He ran towards my stepsister and she thought he was a rat and she screamed and jumped on the bathroom counter lol. He just wanted to say hi and followed her.

Guinea pigs are smelly and messy, so their cages need cleaned a lot. They are such sweethearts though. Except one evil pig I had, she would attack and bite you when you even stuck your hand in to feed her, which I don't know why she did I never hurt her ever. I stuck with male gp's after that. They will need vitamin C added to their diet, as they cannot produce it on their own. Most commercial foods have some but not enough. Their teeth like rabbits continuously grow so there are times they may need to go to the vet and have them ground down.
speeddemonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #8 
laynisample

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonbk View Post
I had THE best piggie ever, Dawson, and yes I'm biased lol. He would scream when you opened the fridge (carrots magically appeared from there) and he gave kisses on your lips but didn't bite. I had him for probably 10 years (which is a lot for a gp). I would suggest unless you don't mind playing barber, getting a short-hair. Mine was a Peruvian so he had long hair and was a wiggleworm when it came to haircuts. He ran towards my stepsister and she thought he was a rat and she screamed and jumped on the bathroom counter lol. He just wanted to say hi and followed her.

Guinea pigs are smelly and messy, so their cages need cleaned a lot. They are such sweethearts though. Except one evil pig I had, she would attack and bite you when you even stuck your hand in to feed her, which I don't know why she did I never hurt her ever. I stuck with male gp's after that. They will need vitamin C added to their diet, as they cannot produce it on their own. Most commercial foods have some but not enough. Their teeth like rabbits continuously grow so there are times they may need to go to the vet and have them ground down.
I've owned guinea pigs for most of my life and I have never had a smelly guinea pig. I use a litter with a baking soda in it and scooped noticeable areas every day. Other than that I dump all the litter twice a month and scrub the pan with hot water to get rid of any other things. My piggy is going to be a year old soon and is a beautiful abyssinian girl. They are so cute. Her favorite spot (mine too when she was younger and smaller) was to climb up and sit on my shoulder as I went about doing my daily activities. Now she's a little big and falls off if I move, but she still loves climbing up there when we're just sitting around.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #9 
speeddemonbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynisample View Post
I've owned guinea pigs for most of my life and I have never had a smelly guinea pig.
I meant the cage not the guinea pig. If you don't stay on top of it, they can get pretty stinky.

Mine was huge, the biggest I've ever seen (not fat just big). He was too big for a full size metal coffee can when he died and I tried to bury him. I miss his little grunts and squeals and his crazy antics when you opened the fridge on the other end of the house lol.
speeddemonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #10 
PaintedOaksOki

Aww... Your guinea pig sounds so cute! I love Peruvians BUT I don't think the whole hair situation would fly with my mom xD Did your Peruvian shed at all?

My aunt has a Abyssinian and she says he doesn't shed a lot, and then when I held him hair just came off him xD She was surprised at how much he was suddenly shedding.