Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #1 
Gen2387

Which one to breed?

So between me and my sis, we have 5 bettas. 4 males and 1 female. We have always entertained the idea of breeding but have never gone through with it. We are thinking about it now but we are not sure which male we should breed to our female.
I will post pictures soon, my father left with my camera on vacation and my pictures are on it so I'll post them in about a week.

Our female is a Cambodian VT with a black spot on her side named Arrow.

Male choices:
1. Admiral Apocalypse: red and turquoise CT
2. Winchester: Cellophane (marbling on the tail) DT
3. Alcide: Multicolor VT
4. Jon Snow: Blue VT

Which pair would you try?
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Breed the ones misr similar what is your breeding plan it is a long and costly thing tons of tanks live food a 10 gallon for breeding. A few jars for the males heating tank to store females live food.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #3 
VictorP

I would say go with #3 the multi. If you don't mind me asking did you get them from a pet store and have you read the threads on breeding bettas?
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i gotta agree with the above. breeding isn't a simple thing. it's very costly. you need a good-size breeding tank, a grow-out tank of at least 20+ gallons, live foods for the fry, jars for them, homes for them....

but, with your cambodian, i'd say the multi VT. do you know what tail type the DT is? (ie, HMDT, VTDT, ect), because, if i'm not mistaking, cambo ties in with butterfly and marble...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #5 
Gen2387

Yes, I've read a lot on breeding and am very aware of the space / cost / material that it takes. Obvioulsy the breeding tank would be a heated 10gal and we would have separate jars for males as the grow and as we can identify them. As well as appropriate food for the babies and young bettas.
The only thing I wasn't really aware of is this whole thing about why people shouldn't breed petshop bettas. Arrow is a stunning female with perfect proportions, was never sick, fins are great.
And the males we bought are great. They also have great fins and proportions, no sickness and look great. The only thing is my multi VT Alcide used to tail bite but he doesn't anymore and the tail is growing back wonderfully.
Why is it that we shouldn't breed petshop bettas? Is it only because they won't be ''show'' worthy?
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #6 
Luimeril

it's mostly because you don't know their genetics. you could pick up, say, a beautiful blue, breed him to your beautiful blue female, end up with all blue with red wash babies, for example. or, worse, you could pass on bad genetics, like tumors and deformities like spoon/shovel head. that, and most of the pet store bettas i see people on youtube breeding are your run of the mill reds or blue with red wash. .- . too many of those as it is, ya know? i'd *love* to see more cambodians. my favorite female was a cambodian gal. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #7 
Creat

There is no specific reason for breeding petstore betta personally as long as you have some sort of goal it is alright, to say more of a goal then breeding just cause. Its like breeding your mutt dog just cause you want to even though there are plenty of other dogs who need homes out there. I would say look into vt form and try to produce some nice looking vt crossing with dt will produce larger finned vt and ct will make small combtails.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

As long as you have plans/goals..... what to do with potential fry, etc.

I'd breed her to the DT ..... I'm a sucker for VTDT. LOL .... BTW is your DT the guy in your avy? He's gorgeous.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote