Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 
labloverl

2.5 or 3 gallon?

I'm out of space to add any more bettas. I have a 10 gallon with 3 males and a 5 gallon with 2 males. Now, I'm not exactly planning on getting more, but we know how that goes. So... I plan to keep a look out for a small tank for a good price. But, I don't want to be doing water changes all the time. Right now I do weekly 50% changes in the 2 tanks I have, so I don't want to deviate from that too much. I figure that 2.5 gallons, or a 3 (maybe 3.5 even) wouldn't require more than 1 50% and 1 100% change. As these sizes cost about the same, which would be better? I would have gravel, fake plants, and probably a filter for water circulation.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You know the saying, "The bigger the BETTER.". That applies to fish as well. ^^ My tank is 3.5 and I'm quite happy with it. But I did replace the filter with a sponge filter, it was plain too strong. But you could baffle. Do you want a link?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #3 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
I'm out of space to add any more bettas. I have a 10 gallon with 3 males and a 5 gallon with 2 males. Now, I'm not exactly planning on getting more, but we know how that goes. So... I plan to keep a look out for a small tank for a good price. But, I don't want to be doing water changes all the time. Right now I do weekly 50% changes in the 2 tanks I have, so I don't want to deviate from that too much. I figure that 2.5 gallons, or a 3 (maybe 3.5 even) wouldn't require more than 1 50% and 1 100% change. As these sizes cost about the same, which would be better? I would have gravel, fake plants, and probably a filter for water circulation.

My smallest tanks (4 of them) are 3 gallons; I like 3g's a lot, I think they are a very nice size. Perfect counter top or bureau size tanks :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #4 
laynisample

I really love my three gallon tank. It feels like the perfect size for my guy.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #5 
labloverl

LTB, I'd love a link!

How often do you all change the water? Is cleaning gravel too much of a task?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Here ya go. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...817&lmdn=Brand
I'll be pretty biased with the changes, mine is cycled. I do 1 75% change per week, though.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #7 
RedRaz

I have a 2.5 gal tank and I wish I bought a 3 or 5 gal. I say go bigger if you can. ;)
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #8 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Here ya go. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...817&lmdn=Brand
I'll be pretty biased with the changes, mine is cycled. I do 1 75% change per week, though.
Oh, I have a tank that looks just like this, but is made by Hawkeye :) It's really very pretty.

The only annoying thing is that the condensation builds in that little feeding hole, and the pellets stick there and don't go through into the tank. I have to wipe it with a tissue in the morning before feeding.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #9 
Jupiter

If they cost about the same and they take up the same room, it's always better to go bigger imo. ;)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #10 
labloverl

LTB, how long did it take to cycle?? What does the filter look like that it came with? Man, this would be great if I had another cycled tank!!

RedRaz, I probably will be going bigger lol. :)

toad, do you have a link?