Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #1 
baileyhewlett

Questions on my tank

Hello! I am new to the community and had a few questions regarding the habitat I'm going to be keeping my betta in. I haven't gotten the betta yet partly because I want the tank to be perfect for him when he comes. I have a Mini Bow 1 Gallon Aqueon tank with some gravel and 2 plastic plants and a little fish accessory. I've ordered a Hydor Slim Heater for Bettas from Amazon as well that has not been delivered yet. I have some water conditioner that I put in as directed too. What other things would be necessary for the tank and betta?

Here is a picture of what it looks like (sorry for the poor quality) :
Attached Images

baileyhewlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #2 
LizzyP

I would take the plastic plants out and put either silk or live plants in there instead. Plastic plants are rough and can tear fins, always run a piece of panty hose over decorations before putting them in your tank. If the panty hose snags or tears, so will your bettas fins. You will also want a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature, especially when you first get your heater t make sure it's working properly.

Only thing I would recommend is bumping up the tank size whenever possible. A 1 gallon tank is just fine, but you have to do 3 water changes per week. 2 50% changes and 1 100% change. If you're fine doing those, then by all means but you really need to be diligent about doing them.

Other than that, you're good to go! :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #3 
baileyhewlett

Thanks for the advice, Lizzy! :) I was really thinking about getting some live plants instead so I will definitely heed your advice and replace the plastic plants with those. I will definitely get a thermometer too.
I am fine with doing water changes often. :) I am in a dorm room right now so space is limited. I might consider upgrading to a 2 gallon, though. Does one more gallon make that much of a difference?
baileyhewlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #4 
sunstar93

I like the look of your tank! I have a 3 gallon tank (I'm also living in a dorm so not much space) and my betta Leo loves it. I got it from Walmart and it came with an aerator (keeps him entertained) and a small filter. Petco sells some really interesting/cheap silk plants (just got a purple and green one for my tank)- I tried the live plant route but I realized that instead of making my tank better it was just adding to the bio load as they died...
Also, don't make the same mistake I did and just throw the betta in there without letting the tank cycle. Now (5 weeks into having Leo) he has ammonia burns on his face and gills and I feel like a horrible betta mom :(
Good luck with your tank!!

Last edited by sunstar93; 10-03-2012 at 11:21 PM.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #5 
LizzyP

Well, with a 1 gallon you really can't cycle it. You can, but there isn't enough surface area for the beneficial bacteria (BB) to grow. I have a fully cycled 3 gallon and it's working great for my guy. The 1 extra gallon really does make a difference. It's like the difference in living in a closet versus a small bedroom.

Petco and Petsmart have the same tank you currently have but in a 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon. I believe it comes with a filter, too. Petco sells plain glass tanks (no lid, no filter, just the tank itself) for pretty cheap prices. Right now they are having their dollar per gallon sale on tanks 10 gallons and up with a membership card but that's in store only. I have the Marineland Crescent 3 gallon from Petsmart which I love. Only thing I don't like is the lid, I can't get it to stay on properly so I just kinda set it on top to help with evaporation and so Frederick can't jump out.

My tank: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...385&lmdn=Brand

Your tank but the 2.5 gallon version: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...218&lmdn=Brand
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote