Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #1 
jasonmcc

Male or Female??

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, been keeping fish for about 3 months now. I have a 60 litre tank. This tank contains 3 corys and five tetras. I also have a 12 litre tank where I have one male betta. I went to the pet shop to buy some female bettas for the big tank, I bought three. One was peach, one was red, and the other was what I thought was a female half moon betta, pinky peach, purple and blue. I thought she was very colourful for a female. When I got home and put them into the 60 litre tank i noticed the female half moon is nearly twice the size of the other two, and is very agressive. It flared at the females every time it came near them. I put the "female" into a breeding box now and "she" still flares every time a female comes over. Her gills become quite large when she flares. I think perhaps I have mistakenly bought a male plakat? I cannot make out any white spot on the betta either. I was hoping somebody would be able to help me identify. I'll try and put on some pictures.

Hope somebody can help!

Jason
Attached Images

jasonmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #2 
shellieca

Looks like one of my females & she is the dominant in my tank. On lighter colored Bettas it can be hard to see the white dot on their under belly. IMO, your 60 litre is overstocked. Do you have lots of plants & hiding places? If not that can be a problem when you have multiple females. Some will say 3 females isn't enough because it doesn't spread out the aggression enough. Some females are really big so size doesn't really say much about the sex.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #3 
FishFriend9292

I agree, I think it is a female. Some are just more aggressive than others.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #4 
Xeek

It's kind of hard with the ventral fins not down. They look somewhat female.

This looks just like my cambodian female betta, but yours looks more like a delta female. I have one just like this but her dorsal fin is pointy (betta), wheres my understanding is a delta is curved on the dorsal.

I'm pretty sure this is a female.

#EDIT#
Actually considering I can't see an egg sack and this one should be old enough to have an egg sack. The body is not shaped like my female of similar color. If you had a picture of the ventral fins down I might could tell better. This actually could be a plakat male on second thought.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #5 
bryanacute

I, to, agree you have a female. Lighter colored females it an be hard to tell with. Also, your overstocking your tank. My best advice would to be take the other out, leaving the tetras and females. Also to get more females.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote