Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #1 
caljamsam

Post The poor things were so hungry

I appreciate the advice I'm getting here, because I'm relatively new at this. However some of you told me to not feed them for a couple of days. I must tell you there is a rule in this house that no one or nothing shall go hungry...ever.

I just fed them some new pellets. Have you ever heard a betta fish scream? Well mine did. So, the bottom line is I will continue to feed them every day twice a day, even if it kills them.

I know we're smarter than them, but if they die I'll go to Petland and pick up another one for $2.99. But they will not go hungry. It is against my religion. Thank you.
caljamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

They can go up to 3 weeks until they're hungry. :o They have a different metabolism as humans. I'm sorry if your religion is interfering with the health of your Betta. What's wrong with your Betta exactly?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #3 
LionCalie

Fish always act like they are starving. That is why overfeeding and the problems associated with it are so common.

Just keep in mind that a Betta fishes stomach is the size of its eye. Feeding small meals twice a day is actually common practice, although I personally feed my boys once a day.

It is highly recommended that you fast your Bettas one day out of the week. It helps prevent constipation problems.

Edit to add - Betta fish do not scream.

Last edited by LionCalie; 09-30-2012 at 06:09 PM.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #4 
Luimeril

bettas are always hungry. i once heard they don't have that 'i'm full' feeling, so they'll literally eat 'till they burst, if you let them. fasting them once a week won't make them go hungry. trust me. i had to fast one of mine for days once, and he was perfectly fine. still is, in fact. he gets all floaty sometimes.

also had a betta i could NOT feed daily. he'd bloat up and float otherwise. and he lived over a year(i think he was an older betta, and ended up with some nasty bloat that didn't go away)...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #5 
Laki

I agree. Bettas do not scream. They don't have the brain mechanism to tell them when to stop eating and they are conditioned to living in a tank with humans so they beg, like giving a dog human scraps at the table- the dog isn't starving but he'll sure drool and act hungry to get a bite!
Also, I find it offensive that you don't care if you overfeed your fish because they only cost 2.99... A fish is a living being, regardless of price. There is no need to execute them for want of human emotion.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #6 
caljamsam

Ok, as long as they "always" act hungry which is what my two boys do. They go nutz whenever they see me approach the tank. They figure here comes Caljamsam with the food. I just hate to see them "always" like that.

So I will starve, er fast them for a day every so often. Whenever you guys recommend. Yes they always do act hungry, starved.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #7 
Luimeril

it's because they don't know to stop. it's actually GOOD for them to fast them for a day. cleans out their insides real good, prevents bloat and constipation, and if they're already constipated, it helps clean out their system without clogging it more. it doesn't hurt them, i promise. i wouldn't do it to mine if it did, and i wouldn't have done it to Cup(the one that i HAD to feed every other day), if it wouldn't have helped him out.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #8 
caljamsam

Got it.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #9 
Laki

We're not here to tell you what to do. We're here to help you make the right decisions based on months and years of personal research and experience! lol
You can wash your hands and dip your fingers in the water to interact with them. Don't pet them but let them weave in and out of your fingers or nibble on your fingers. You can point pens at them (from outside the tank) or show them a mirror. All of this gives them something to do. Bettas are smart fish, complex fish even. They do their wigglies when their human comes by because that's their favorite part about their humans! They're such food hogs. I feed mine once a day, sometimes I don't even. But the tank is on my desk where I spend a considerable time and so I play and interact with them.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #10 
babystarz

My bettas beg even when they've been fed treats. So does my dog, for that matter. He'll swear to you he never had breakfast today :P
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote