Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 
minkymink

Question Filters for Bettas

Recently I purchased my betta, and I'm looking into a filter for a 5 gallon tank. I looked up a Tetra Whisper In-Tank Filter and was wondering if this would be suitable for a betta fish and not too strong for him. Thanks!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753028
minkymink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Looks good to me.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #3 
toad

No, stay away from those things. I have 2 of them (only one is in use, in my only non-betta tank) and the current they make is awful. I had to the baffle the one in the community tank so it wouldn't blow the neons and the plants to bits.

For a betta, all you need is a sponge filter... Unless you have a female, or a plakat, and then you could try a HOB filter (I've got one that came with a tank kit, and my female is doing okay with it, but I wouldn't trust it near my long finned males).

Here's a link to the sponge filters I plan on trying out, after I got a recommendation from a member here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...54&pcatid=3954

Good luck :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #4 
Patr1ck

Me and my betta love the Azoo Palm Filter. I was worried about the current, but he really enjoys swimming around both the intake (put a pre-filter sponge on it) and the outflow.

It made a humming sound, I guess it was the filter housing vibrating against the tank, but I padded the part that was in contact with the tank and it's pretty quiet now.

Last edited by Patr1ck; 10-04-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Patr1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #5 
Kenny G

I personally never had a problem with that filter current being to strong. I guess it depends on the betta.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #6 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
I personally never had a problem with that filter current being to strong. I guess it depends on the betta.
Really? The 2 I've got are just the same - awful. They work fine as filters, but the fish aren't too enthused by them. I took the baffle off the one in the community tank (the Whisper 20) and the neons hid in a corner and wouldn't come out. Not to mention what it did to my plants

I had the Whisper 10 in my first betta tank and in no time at all, the poor fish was plastered to the intake Scared the bejesus out of me! He was okay - but currently he lives in an unfiltered 10 gallon, as I haven't bought him a sponge filter yet.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #7 
babystarz

Yeah I hate the Whisper filters too. I have them in several of my tanks and they inhibit bubble nest creation too much. I'm slowly switching over to all sponge filters.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #8 
pittipuppylove

I've got a Marina Slim s10 in my 5.5 gallon, and I really like it. It has an adjustable flow feature, and the lowest setting has it where there's just a trickle of water going out - virtually no currant. If you can keep the part that hangs off the back from vibrating, it is the closest to silent I have ever seen in a filter - if you fold up a paper towel and place it where the vibrations are coming from, it's pretty much taken care of. And there's a intake sponge that comes with it, so no sucked-up fins.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote