Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #1 
jake1515

Bloodworms and other food questions

So I've had my ZayZay (VT) for about 8 months and I have just been feeding him Aqueon pebbles. Can anyone educate me about variation and general info on bloodworms?

Thank youuu =)
jake1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bloodworms are great food a few ounce a week.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #3 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Bloodworms are great food a few ounce a week.
I think she means "once" a week :)

You can get both freeze dried and frozen blood worms; the frozen are probably more nutritious. I've got both, and have fed both. I think if you have one fish, it's probably easier to feed the freeze dried, because the frozen worms come in cubes large enough to feed all 7 of my tanks - you'd end up with a lot of waste dethawing all that for just one fish.

Brine shrimp is also a good supplemental food for a betta. These also come freeze dried and frozen, but I personally have only used the frozen.

I'm not really familiar with the details of your brand of pellets, but I know that most of our members here suggest New Life Spectrum and Omega One brand pellets.

Pellets should be the main staple of the diet, with blood worms and/or brine shrimp being fed to supplement. I replace a regular meal with worms or brine shrimp, feeding each of them once a week.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #4 
sunlight

Agree with toad just want to add something.
freeze dried i give them about 2 times a week instead of the pellets in the morning. And i give them about 4 worms.
I want you to check this link and check thread #5 from Olympia

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=114192

Last edited by sunlight; 10-01-2012 at 01:33 PM.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #5 
jake1515

Thank you guys very much! Will definitely get some brineshrimp to try out once a week. Interesting about parasites in bloodworms. Thank you for taking the time to link me there!
jake1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #6 
Maddybelle

I feed my boys freeze dried bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and Hikari Betta BioGold - they made the pellets smaller, which is great. The pellets were always too big for my fish. So far their favorite is the frozen brine shrimp :). All my wet pets love them: from my 6" goldfish to my 1/2" guppy juvies!
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #7 
NyaNyanNaa

Be careful though! Make sure you don't buy Black worms! Those things KILL betta fish so make sure you are very careful when reading labels and such.
NyaNyanNaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #8 
sainthogan

My Betta loves bloodworms as a treat. She was scared of them at first until she realized they were something to eat. Now I can get her to take one at a time out of my hand. She goes crazy when she sees them, they are her favorite food, although she LOVES food in general.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #9 
sunlight

I also like New Life Spectrum Betta Formula .The pellets are small . And everyone on the forum saying they are really good . The only what i don't like that they are not floating and sinking to the bottom right away. My bettas eat them before they sink though. So if you use those pellets put only one and wait until they eat it before you put another one. I think you suppose to do it with any pellets though.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #10 
BabyBetta0108

I have two boys and one of them goes crazy for frozen brine shrimps! the other one is not much of a fan :P You can also feed them daphnia or mysis shrimps. I've heard that daphnia is good for their digestive systems.
BabyBetta0108 is offline   Reply With Quote