Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #1 
Adine

10 Gallon Hex?

I have this ten gallon hex. It had a tropical community in it for the longest time, but snails began to dominate it. I just did a water change, cleaned all the plants, the filter, the bubbler, everythin'. Got rid of the snails. I only have two fish left. It really saddens me. I've been thinking about getting more. I know I have to because I have a white cloud tetra, and their a schooling fish. (I think that's what their called.) I have one of them and a molly/platy.. hybrid you'd call it? I've lately been trying to lower my fishtank count, so I was wondering, could I put a female betta in the hex?? I heard that it might not be good, because they have to swim up to get air, but can they get air if theirs an aireator, or a bubbler, in the tank? The tank has a 20 gallon filter in it, which might be too strong, but I have a ten gallon filter I can switch it with, and I also have a more gentle 20 gallon filter. I will be able to get more fish, like white clouds, if I need to. I tried floating my female in the tank (clear cup) and she didn't show signs of aggression, but she was trying to get at the white cloud. (Silly white cloud didn't even see her.) So.. any opinions? Should I just forget it?
Adine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #2 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
I'm pretty sure they can get air from the water. And they just breath air from the top becuase where they come from the water doesen't have a lot of oxygen, but I'm not an expert.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #3 
Adine

Ah, okay. I'm not an expert either, I'm still learning the ways, but I know more than my know-it-all friends. (: Every piece of information helps me on my journey to learn this stuff, so thanks!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Bettas need to breathe air from the surface, or else they'll drown.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #5 
Adine

Mmhmm. What I thought, but wasn't positive.
Anyone on the betta/tropical community ordeal?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #6 
Adine

Update~
A five gallon tank just opened up. Sooo, my plans were, if this would work...
1. Move my two fish from ten gallon to five gallon (after it cycles, of course)
2. If needed, get more fish so they can school again.
3. Every day I'll let my betta float in the tank, so she can get used to seeing other fish.

Is there anything bad in this plan?
Do I need to get more fish for them??
Should I move the two into a two gallon with a filter and forget about the betta?

The last question seems almost reasonable..
I don't know what to do.