Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #1 
NVGail228

Newly registered

Hi, all. I've followed this site for several years but just finally got around to registering. I live in very rural northern NV (which means mail order for everything related to betta keeping including the betta themselves.) I've kept as many as 100 male and females (mostly males) at once in 50 divided tanks even though I've never bred. Now limited by space and $$ so my family currently exists of me, my Chinese Crested and my 4 male betta - 2 HMPK and 2 CT. They all live in their own 2 gallon, heated tanks. Hope to add more over time (either a sorority or more males in a divided 10 gallon tank). Have the tank but last attempt to divide it failed miserably. Silicon failed and 3 guys almost had a major slug fest going. Fortunately, I was keeping close watch on them and pulled two out while number 3 currently lives very happily in all 10 gallons. He's pleased as punch but I hope to ruin his day in the near future (LOL).

I'm good at rambling sometimes so I'll cut off here except to say that it's a pleasure joining the community. And thanks to an excellent thread on sororities I just found....that 10 gallon tank may have some new inhabitants soon.
NVGail228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #2 
NVGail228

Forgot to include my pix

This is a learning process for me. Have added a signature and thought I'd send pix of 3 of my boys. I don't have a very good picture of Casper - my white DTHMPK.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum (finally)

Your fish are stunning *wipes drool off of keyboard* I'd love to know what your water change schedule was like with 5o tanks :0
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #4 
registereduser

gorgeous fish!!!!!!!!! welcome
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #5 
NVGail228

Thank you all. In the past many of my betta were "rescued" from Walmart or Petco...which, sadly, makes them just go and do the same to replacement fish. But watching a poor little guy (or in one case girl) lying on the bottom of a cup with about half inch water just makes me want to scream.

Because my space and $ is limited I can only occassionaly add a new family member. So I went for pretty!

My tanks get about 25-50% change once a week as I syphon ick off the gravel. Originally I was doing twice a week but I got a brainstorm and put in a (baffled) filter and instead of spending the bucks on constantly getting new filters, I bought a small net bag, some Fluval biiomax filter media and sandwich them between Biomax fiklter media that I cut to size. The tanks have been running for about 3 months now and I have myself some BB going. I also use R/O water (a mini unit good for my small needs from DrsFosterSmith) since the water where I live is pretty bad. I replace what's needed with Kent Liquid R/O right and use a 7.0 stabilizer buffer. Between all that (plus Seachem Pirme and a dash of aquarium salt as an added precautions) my tanks stay pretty stable. It took awhile to figure out this "formula" since the tanks are so small...but it's working out well and my boys are happy. Recently bought a 10 gallon tank which I hope to either divide for a couple more boys (or girls) separated or maybe a sorority. Thinking about it while I get the tank up and running and stabilized.

And thank you to BettaNewbie 60 for encouragement and on pcitures of your divided tank. My silicon failed the first time and I almost had a heavyweight match going LOL. All are back small tanks that I kept running just in case and you've inspired me to try again.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #6 
NVGail228

Oops...as for the 50 tanks...I spent one VERY long day twice a week doing about a 75% change since I didn't have filters in those tanks. And since I'm disabled (but still "able") I sort of made my betta my job. Kept me hopping for sure.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Enjoy your stay....

Please post questions in the proper section for best response.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #8 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote