Betta Fish Forum banner

Actually Really Upset.

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ao 
#1 ·
Today, I went to look at a new puppy for sale, and afterwards, we went to look at Pet Barn. I almost picked up one of the betta cups and threw it at an employee. It was disgraceful. Not even cups, but little dishes with lids is what most of the betta's were kept in. I noticed a beautiful halfmoon on the bottom of his dish, gasping for air, when I realised There was no air holes in the dishes. I literally stood staring at the dishes, filled completley to the top with lids, that these fish were quickly going to suffocate to death, by some stupid pet-store employee who chucked out a dead betta while I was watching, cleaned the dish with a dirty tissue, and filled it up with some other fish's tank water, then put in a new betta. Three of the fish were being kept in a divided like tank, with less than a gallon and no heating as well. Another I found being kept on a display stand, in a tiny divided thing which was almost falling of the edge. I pushed it back upright, and the little guy swam over to me and started following my finger against the glass. I felt sorry for all those fish in there, who were destined to die, a quick and painful death.

I was literally in tears as I left the store.

#3 ·
I was going to buy a little HMPK underneath all the stacked cups, because he looked so pitiful, but then I thought that buying him would result in a profit from the store. It was so hard for me to leave without grabbing all the dishes and running.

#4 ·
That is atrocious :(

But you're right about supporting the store - I understand why you didn't buy them. Perhaps you could write a letter to their HQ and tell them what's going on.

#5 ·
Does the store also sell puppies and kittens? Around here, I find that stores that sell puppies and kittens (which come from horrible puppy/kitten-mills most of the time) tend to treat their aquatic life with poor regard. I always wondered if its because places that tend to sell puppies and kittens have lesser retail morals than other stores that refuse to support the mill industry. However, that has to do with my very limited interaction with such stores and I could be wrong.

Anyway, I would write the company a letter. Is it a chain or local store?

#6 ·
:eek:mg: I would have found the store manager and had a very INTENSE conversation with him/her!!!!

I never heard of Pet Barn ... next time take pictures & send them off with a letter to the main office or whatever place is in charge.

This is one of the worst stories I have seen here ... based on how the "dishes" were without air holes & how the employee prepped the dish for a new betta. :roll: :-( :-( :-(

#7 ·
Good job not supporting them!! If you're not comfortable complaining in person (which I know a lot of people aren't) You could write a letter to the store, or an email if they have any email address or call if you're more comfortable talking over the phone!

#8 ·
I would write a letter to the store, man it's things like this I wish petstores could be fined for animal abuse towards fish. I bet if they had to pay $100 for all the fish abused they would think twice about the care they give to them. PLEASE ANIMAL CONTROL...ADD RODENTS ANS FISH TO YOUR LIST SOOOON.

#9 · (Edited)
The sold puppies to (we were looking at a breeder, we just decided to stop in at the petstore on the way home). Thank goodness, I think there are only two or three Pet Barns left and there a decent drive away. I think I'll write a letter to managment, but I never got to take photo's of the fish. I am just sick of fish, and in particular, betta's being kept in such horrible living conditions.

Heres the link to there website:

http://www.thepetbarn.com.au/

#10 ·
I'm surprised. The Pet Barn near my house is really good. The staff that work there at least when I used to go in to buy pet food with my mum owned/bred fish and were aware of the needs of bettas and of cycling tanks etc.

The only dogs/cats they have in store are from the Lost Dog's Home or something similar so no commercially bred puppies or kittens there.

It's surprising how different individual stores can be when they come under the same brand. When I worked for Subway, everything always had to be pretty much exactly the same and they had whole pages of rules and regulations. You think you would want stores to be pretty similar in basic care and stock.

#11 ·
Yeah, well I just looked at the website, and it seems that this store is an independent store, but has the same name as the Chain Store "Pet Barn". Still, I cant understand how someone can have such little disregard for a living creature.

#12 ·
Surprised they haven't been pinged by Pet Barn for having such a similar name. Especially if the care is as sub-standard as you say.

I cannot understand why some stores treat their stock so poorly. I mean when you have visibly sick and dying fish it is like a butcher selling rotten meat. It does not leave the customer with a good first impression.

I'm not sure if its laziness, understaffing, ignorance or just a plain lack of care but it always seems to me for every one good fish store there are about ten or so ones that I wouldn't set foot in.

#13 ·
I know! Just as you see one good store, it seems as if the rest plummet down. I'm surprised that the other Pet Barn hasn't put in some complaint either.

I think it was just a matter of not caring about the fish. They had HEAPS of staff, and the person who was minding the coldwater fish tanks seemed to be know what they were talking about. Hopefully, it was just a one off the betta guy. I hope. I'm still writing a complaint to the manager this afternoon. Either they need to train new people, or fire the guy they have.

#14 ·
Yeah definitely write in to the manager.

However, if conditions don't improve, do you have a thumbs up, thumbs down column in your local paper like we do where I live? Possibly you could write something like thumbs down to a fish store in such an such suburb for poor care of their bettas. Might get a reaction out of the manager then.

#15 ·
I never thought of australian customer service as bad until I went into a petstore. I told the chashier their fish had ich. which she blatantly denied by saying "our fish does not have ICH". and refused to take a look at the tank when I asked her to...sometimes you just run into idiots who care about their egos more than another life they are responsible for.

Contrastingly, today i was at petland discounts(i know rveryone hates that place right?)
they also had ich...
I told the employee and he said, oh we added a bit of medicine already. it's one of my favorite petland discounts... their staff is super friendly... and their fish are usually uber healthy... compared to petco and petsmart...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.