Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #1 
magnum

Actually Really Upset.

Today, I went to look at a new puppy for sale, and afterwards, we went to look at Pet Barn. I almost picked up one of the betta cups and threw it at an employee. It was disgraceful. Not even cups, but little dishes with lids is what most of the betta's were kept in. I noticed a beautiful halfmoon on the bottom of his dish, gasping for air, when I realised There was no air holes in the dishes. I literally stood staring at the dishes, filled completley to the top with lids, that these fish were quickly going to suffocate to death, by some stupid pet-store employee who chucked out a dead betta while I was watching, cleaned the dish with a dirty tissue, and filled it up with some other fish's tank water, then put in a new betta. Three of the fish were being kept in a divided like tank, with less than a gallon and no heating as well. Another I found being kept on a display stand, in a tiny divided thing which was almost falling of the edge. I pushed it back upright, and the little guy swam over to me and started following my finger against the glass. I felt sorry for all those fish in there, who were destined to die, a quick and painful death.

I was literally in tears as I left the store.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, wow. That is horrible! I don't blame you for being angry.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:57 AM   #3 
magnum

I was going to buy a little HMPK underneath all the stacked cups, because he looked so pitiful, but then I thought that buying him would result in a profit from the store. It was so hard for me to leave without grabbing all the dishes and running.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #4 
toad

That is atrocious :(

But you're right about supporting the store - I understand why you didn't buy them. Perhaps you could write a letter to their HQ and tell them what's going on.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #5 
Sivan

Does the store also sell puppies and kittens? Around here, I find that stores that sell puppies and kittens (which come from horrible puppy/kitten-mills most of the time) tend to treat their aquatic life with poor regard. I always wondered if its because places that tend to sell puppies and kittens have lesser retail morals than other stores that refuse to support the mill industry. However, that has to do with my very limited interaction with such stores and I could be wrong.

Anyway, I would write the company a letter. Is it a chain or local store?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #6 
misty1477

I would have found the store manager and had a very INTENSE conversation with him/her!!!!

I never heard of Pet Barn ... next time take pictures & send them off with a letter to the main office or whatever place is in charge.

This is one of the worst stories I have seen here ... based on how the "dishes" were without air holes & how the employee prepped the dish for a new betta.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #7 
MoonShadow

Good job not supporting them!! If you're not comfortable complaining in person (which I know a lot of people aren't) You could write a letter to the store, or an email if they have any email address or call if you're more comfortable talking over the phone!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

I would write a letter to the store, man it's things like this I wish petstores could be fined for animal abuse towards fish. I bet if they had to pay $100 for all the fish abused they would think twice about the care they give to them. PLEASE ANIMAL CONTROL...ADD RODENTS ANS FISH TO YOUR LIST SOOOON.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #9 
magnum

The sold puppies to (we were looking at a breeder, we just decided to stop in at the petstore on the way home). Thank goodness, I think there are only two or three Pet Barns left and there a decent drive away. I think I'll write a letter to managment, but I never got to take photo's of the fish. I am just sick of fish, and in particular, betta's being kept in such horrible living conditions.

Heres the link to there website:

http://www.thepetbarn.com.au/

Last edited by magnum; 10-01-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

I'm surprised. The Pet Barn near my house is really good. The staff that work there at least when I used to go in to buy pet food with my mum owned/bred fish and were aware of the needs of bettas and of cycling tanks etc.

The only dogs/cats they have in store are from the Lost Dog's Home or something similar so no commercially bred puppies or kittens there.

It's surprising how different individual stores can be when they come under the same brand. When I worked for Subway, everything always had to be pretty much exactly the same and they had whole pages of rules and regulations. You think you would want stores to be pretty similar in basic care and stock.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote