Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #1 
RedRaz

Baby betta needs help please!

Hello everyone! I recently become a mommy to a cutie baby betta. I have only had *her or him* for two days. When I first got baby she/he was full of energy and all the fins were open. Now she/he has clamped fins and stays a lot at the bottom of the tank. She still eats like a piggy and swims to the top for air. Is she stressed? Sick? I'm very worried.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? fozen brine shrimp and NLS crushed pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 % every day then eventually 100% every 3 days *just got her so have not did a 100% water change yet*
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? *Jungle* Start right conditioner and *API* Stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She/he had open fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She/ he has clamped fins and stays at bottom of tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday right after water change
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I just got her two days ago. So IDK
How old is your fish (approximately)? She is a baby. 5-7 weeks?
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #2 
RedRaz

Also I preconditioned the water for 24 hrs and heated it to her temp. When I did the 50% water changes.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #3 
registereduser

Babies are hard to keep alive. My first baby acted like this before she died but I'm pretty sure it was ammonia that did it. Do you have a liquid ammonia test?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #4 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Babies are hard to keep alive. My first baby acted like this before she died but I'm pretty sure it was ammonia that did it. Do you have a liquid ammonia test?
That is sad to hear. I'm sorry for your loss. I am trying my hardest to keep her alive that is for sure. Yeah I have the API test. Ammonia was at 0. I even took a pic of the results. To make sure. The pH is 7.6. The picture with her fins all open is when we got her/him and she/he was in their cup. The others are her/him in the 1 gal tank. You can see the difference. :( IDK what is going on. Should I move the baby back to her/his cup?
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #5 
registereduser

You are doing everything right as far as I can see. As long as she keeps eating you have a chance. Let's hope it's just stress of a new environment.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I so wish I know what to tell you but yes I think the ammonia is what you have to be careful of with the babies. I think it would be best to keep her in the 1 gallon for now so any ammonia doesnt build up that fast. Does she have places to hide like a plant or cave to hang out in ? Looking at the tail it looks like a crowntail maybe, see the little spikes pointing out...so cute ! Keep the lights kinda low for now in case those are stressing her out abit. She is eating thats a great sign !

So sorry about Thor I just now saw that he passed, I havent been on that much all weekend as I am sick with a virus or something ...Hugs !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #7 
RedRaz

registereduser Yeah I hope she does keep eating. She is so tiny that I try to make sure I do everything right. I test everything and keep a close eye on her. That ammonia thing is my main concern. I'm doing another 50% water change today. So hopefully it's just stress and she/he will get used to her/his new environment. *fingers crossed*

Perseusmom Yes I agree ammonia is a concern. I'm trying to keep that down by doing 50% preconditioned water changes daily and 1 100% water change every 3 days. Hopefully that will work. She has a plant to go into but I did not add gravel yet. I wanted to make sure I could monitor her poop and uneaten food that falls and thought gravel would hide that. Should I put some in? Do you think I need some more places to hide? I will post a pic of tank and you can let me know. Yes she eats like a piggy and goes crazy for brine shrimp! lol! Oh a crowntail! Yay! I really hope I can see her grow up. It would be wonderful! I have her in the kitchen right now with the light off *only natural light coming through* so hopefully not stressed. It's also very quiet too.

Yeah my nerite snail Thor died. :( Poor guy. IDK what happened but I did buy him from petco so who knows what he had. Thanks. *hugs*

I hope you feel better! Drink lots of tea *green and chamomile* :)
Old 10-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #8 
RedRaz

Here is some pics of tank and preconditioned water.

Let me know if I should add something more to her tank to make it more comfy for her. It's a corner 1 gal tank. Do you think a bigger critter keeper would be better? This tank is taller the wide. Also I use a bucket to precondition her water then I add a heater to heat it before I put it in her tank. I figure the more I show and tell you what I do the better we can all figure out if I am doing anything wrong. I do want her to have the very best care. Thank you!
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #9 
RedRaz

Oh and that dial was set to 84 degrees when I heated the water. ;) This picture was before I set the dial to the correct temp. :)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #10 
RedRaz

Tank with heater

Here is a pic with her heater in it. That other picture was before I put the heater in. Now that I look at the heater it's a bit big. You think she is having a hard time with that heater? I just realized it's a 50 watt heater! My hubs bought them and I didn't even fully check the specs. *sigh* Could that be why she is acting this way.