Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #1 
Lizzie the Badger

Constipation? Something else?

My betta, Venus, after feeding a white worm like think showed next to her egg spot. My first thought, another one of my fish has internal parasites. (Rakki and Ritz both have whitish/clear stringy poop)

Soon I began to notice that it wasn't getting pushed out. She then laid at the bottom and wouldn't react to me. I then used a net to get her moving and put her in a cup that was floated in the tank. I feed her most of a pea. She still is not pooping, and the clear poop is still hanging out.

I can't use epsom salt, because currently I'm treating the sorortiy (which she is in) for fin rot with AQ salt.

Housing
What size is your tank? - 10 gallon.
What temperature is your tank?- Around 82.
Does your tank have a filter?- Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?- No, unless you can count a live plant (marimo moss).
Is your tank heated?- Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?- 6 other female bettas.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?- 3 pellets per fish (two in morning, one a night), a couple flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish?- Every day, once in the morning, once at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? -Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?- I have recently have done a 100% water change, I also do 50% water change.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?- Slime coat, Aqua Safe water conditoner.
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: At time of testing, it was 6.6, I added Jungle pH increaser.
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?- Worm like clear/white poop sticking out next to eggspot. Not being pushed out completely.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?- After feeding, I tried to bribe her with a pellet. Not interested. Venus did eat the pea I gave her though.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?- This morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?- I cupped her in the tank, and fed her a pea.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?- No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? - A month?

Pictures-

Below: The worm like poop I photo edited so its red.

Below: The same picture, this time I circled the poop. It's hard to see it though.

Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

6.6 is great for bettas read peas help with constipation.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #3 
ZackyBear

Peas aren't good for bettas since they are carnivores. I think you should put her in separate treatment for now with the ES salt. Though you are treating the other girls for fint rot, she should be okay. A bit of stress coat will help keep it at bay with constant water changes, and you can put her back on the AQ once the parasites have passed~
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #4 
Lizzie the Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBear View Post
Peas aren't good for bettas since they are carnivores. I think you should put her in separate treatment for now with the ES salt. Though you are treating the other girls for fint rot, she should be okay. A bit of stress coat will help keep it at bay with constant water changes, and you can put her back on the AQ once the parasites have passed~
Yep, I knew that; but like CB said, I had read somewhere on theis site that peas help with constipation. I'm not feeding anymore to her =P
Thank you!

The poop has been pushed out, though Venus still looks a little constipated. I fasted her today.
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote