Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #11 
lelei

Oh, Red you have a baby betta too, I thought I saw that on a prev thread, Congrats on the lil one, babies are tricky, but I think with stress coat, and frequent water changes, and some gravel, would be fine, and as long as she is eating, a small hiding cave would help to ease the stress, she is soo small so ammonia shouldn't be building up quite as fast, but clean water is the best by far, I would do water changes 3-4 times a week at 100% just in case, kinda like a QT tank, then cut back to the 50% thereafter..I sure hope all goes well with her, I think a her..she is adorable:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #12 
RedRaz

Sorry here is the pic of heater.

It's an Aqueon 50 watt heater. Now I'm thinking it's the heater that is the issue.
Attached Images

RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #13 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Oh, Red you have a baby betta too, I thought I saw that on a prev thread, Congrats on the lil one, babies are tricky, but I think with stress coat, and frequent water changes, and some gravel, would be fine, and as long as she is eating, a small hiding cave would help to ease the stress, she is soo small so ammonia shouldn't be building up quite as fast, but clean water is the best by far, I would do water changes 3-4 times a week at 100% just in case, kinda like a QT tank, then cut back to the 50% thereafter..I sure hope all goes well with her, I think a her..she is adorable:)
Yeah my hubs surprised me with a baby betta. Now I have two cutie pies to worry about. I hear they are quite tricky. I will add some gravel and see if that helps. She has a plant that she hides in but maybe another small place to hide would help. Okay I will do that then. I did a 50% water change last night. Should I do a 100% water change today or tomorrow? Awww thanks! She makes me smile a lot.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Hi RedRaz, what a cute little girl (yup, a girl!). How long has she been clamped and when did she clamp? Was it right after a water change or sometime even later than that? Do you have a thermometer to monitor the temp? 50w can be done in a 1 gal but chances are it heats the water up at too fast of a pace. Gradual changes in temp are best and in a 1gal, when the heater has to kick in, it probably is only on for a moment before the temp rises rapidly. I'm not sure if that's the problem or not but it's worth looking into. Adding a tiny cave might help too, in case she is just feeling exposed.

You can also add an extra dose of Stress Coat as well. Keep an eye on her behavior in case she starts to dart or rub. Sometimes clamping for no apparent reason can mean invisible external parasites.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #15 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi RedRaz, what a cute little girl (yup, a girl!). How long has she been clamped and when did she clamp? Was it right after a water change or sometime even later than that? Do you have a thermometer to monitor the temp? 50w can be done in a 1 gal but chances are it heats the water up at too fast of a pace. Gradual changes in temp are best and in a 1gal, when the heater has to kick in, it probably is only on for a moment before the temp rises rapidly. I'm not sure if that's the problem or not but it's worth looking into. Adding a tiny cave might help too, in case she is just feeling exposed.

You can also add an extra dose of Stress Coat as well. Keep an eye on her behavior in case she starts to dart or rub. Sometimes clamping for no apparent reason can mean invisible external parasites.
Yay! I'm happy to know it is a girl! I can say she now. You know I noticed early yesterday *Sunday* morning. She was put in her new tank on Saturday evening. She has been clamped since Sunday morning *yesterday* So I would say one day. I think it is because I recently bought three of the same heaters and put one in Raz's tank as well. He is at the bottom more now. No clamped fins though. How could I adjust the temp of the heaters to be more reasonable? I have a thermometer in both tanks and Raz is 79 degrees and hers is at 82 degrees.

She isn't darting just a bit mopey and still swims a bit. Goes to the top for air. Stay a lot at the bottom though.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #16 
RedRaz

Okay my baby looks like she has some sort of fuzz on her and is breathing a little more rapidly. :( What can I do for her? Should I do a 100% water change? Can I add AQ salt? I'm lost with all this. Please help!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #17 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I would lower the water in her tank to make it easier for her to get to the top without much stress and maybe add just a bit of AQ salt to her water, fix up some warm water and dissolve half a teaspoon in it and add it very slowly a little at a time and just keep watching her to see how she does with it.

I just put a post on the Face Book page for members that you need help with your baby I hope some of them will come and be able to help...hang in there...Hugs !

Last edited by Perseusmom; 10-01-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #18 
RedRaz

I had to put her in a smaller tupperware because the water has to be very shallow for her to get air. I also mixed half a teaspoon of AQ salt in something seperate then gently mixed the water. She was on her side. Now she is straighter after the AQ salt added and the water level is way lower fore. *sigh* It all happened so fast. I hope I was fast enough to save her. My heart breaks. Poor sweet girl. Thanks for responding Perseusmom! I appreciate how quick you were. I hope she pulls through.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #19 
lelei

I agree with Persues Mom, keep water level low for now..I would PM Sakura, just in case, I am wondering if the heat is getting to her, maybe shut if off intermittingly..so it could cool down a bit. If your heater is adjustable, just take down to 78d. I am not sure about AQ salt..check with Sakura on that one, I think if you can get the heat down a lil bit, might help first, then if not try the AQ salt..with babies, it's hard to figure out..(huggs) too:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #20 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Oh good that sounds like she is doing better now and you know I am always more then happy to help if I know what to do that is. I am just lucky I can be at home to keep and eye on the posts for people who need help fast. How is Raz doing today has he eaten anymore ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote