Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #1 
labloverl

Exclamation Please tell me his fins are normal!

This is my new betta that I got yesterday. I thought his fins looked normal, but on a closer inspection tonight, his dorsal(top fin ?) looked like it was missing a part of it. I wasn't sure if he just ate it/tore it, or if it's fin rot. The rest of his fins have a hole or two here and there....

Please tell me he is healthy with no fin rot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi3gXOqkEEQ
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

I'm not sure, since I've never had a fish with fin rot. However, it does look possible. The best thing you can do right now is get some Aquarium Salt (sold at pet stores) and a heater would be awesome too. Mix the appropriate amount of Aquarium Salt with a change of water for his tank. You need to be sure to keep his tank extra clean, too.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #3 
Sakura8

It looks like he is a reddish-brown color? That black looks normal to me, part of his coloring. If it was black from fin rot, it would be a solid black, not transparent, and the edges would be really ragged. He looks very handsome!

That one part of his anal fin that is missing should grow back with some TLC. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #4 
labloverl

His fins actually (to me) look orange/burnt orange with the black tips. What about the big gap in his dorsal fin?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #5 
Sakura8

The orange/black look is so pretty and just right for the season. :)

I don't see any blackened edges in the dorsal fin gap either so he looks very healthy. It looks like a clean tear. It will either grow back perfectly normal or he might always have that funny little "spike" there.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #6 
labloverl

Thank you! I've never had one that color, so I'm super excited and proud of him! I can't wait until I can get him in his own tank.

BTW, sakura, one more question. He's in a vase right now that holds about 3/4 of a gallon. How often should I change the water and how much?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #7 
Sakura8

He can probably tolerate 100% changes every other day or you can change maybe 25-50% every day to refresh it.

He's a pretty unique color, you don't see many like him. I'm jealous. :)
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
The orange/black look is so pretty and just right for the season. :)

I don't see any blackened edges in the dorsal fin gap either so he looks very healthy. It looks like a clean tear. It will either grow back perfectly normal or he might always have that funny little "spike" there.
+1^ I have one fish whose dorsal has just always been bent..probably from being in a cup..kinda like a whale in captivity...sigh, but he's sweet as can be and healthy.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #9 
labloverl

Yep, one of my other VTs has a spike in his dorsal fin, along with a curled part (like a captive whale). Plus, on his anal fin, there's one part that grew back in a funny way to where it sticks up like a check mark.

I'm just so proud to have found this one in a pet store that I never get fish in. He was the only lively one there, and once I got a good look at him, there was no doubt that I was bringing him home!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
Yep, one of my other VTs has a spike in his dorsal fin, along with a curled part (like a captive whale). Plus, on his anal fin, there's one part that grew back in a funny way to where it sticks up like a check mark.

I'm just so proud to have found this one in a pet store that I never get fish in. He was the only lively one there, and once I got a good look at him, there was no doubt that I was bringing him home!
Dang, I just noticed you still need some "S" names! I must go looking lol. I hope everything is just fine with your new guy..he is beautiful.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote