Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #1 
Lisa1010

I've got questions please!

I was not certain how to title this thread but I do have questions.

I have a female who is doing well in my 2.5 gallon tank.

But I have a question on filters, lights, heaters, and how much to really feed.

I will post a picture of my tank also, but now the tank has the filter in it behind the colorful decoration, so keep that in mind with you see the picture.

For feeding, I am feeding her Aqueon Color Enhancing Betta Food. It says to feed small amounts 2-3 times a day that will be consumed within 3 minutes. I am sure she would eat a lot during those 3 minutes if I let her. But while searching some of these threads, people say only 2-3 tablets 1-2 times a day.

So my question is, how much should I feed her and how many times a day. Sometimes I feed her once a day and sometimes I feed her twice a day and some days I let her fast. I feed her 3-5 pellets each time. What do I do?

For the filter question. I know there have been filter questions recently but I am still uncertain in this department. I have the Smallworld Pump & Filter kit. It says it removes harmful gases, odor, and discoloration. The cartridge has what looks like cotton and coal in it. I got it because it is for small tanks. But while playing with her a while ago I was just looking at the filter because it is louder than I would like and the flow comes out the top and kind of hard. It makes bubbles on the surface of the water. I would have no idea how to slow the flow. But while watching it I thought, what could it possible be filtering? It is an airpump, tubing and the cartridge. The airpump pumps air IN towards the tank...I noticed nothing is being filtered out. This can't really be a filter, I feel like I have been fooled into buying this because of the words small, and filter. So my question is...what is this thing really doing? I am confused with this filter thing!

My lighting question is this...is the light just for during the day, or is it for the night also? She is in the kitchen for now, just not certain where to put her and although I thought about my room, the filter nixed that! Can't imaging listening to the sound of a filter all night! Anyway, there is a plastic water jug that has the pump sitting on it for the backflow of the filter and a night light is behind it and it actually puts off quite a bit of filtered light. Is that bad? Also, can you use the light as a heating source provided it can be on all day? Meaning if I had one of those blue lights would it be able to be on and provide heat?

My last question is on heating. I know I need a heater in with her but my tank is only 2.5 gallons and I don't want it to get too crowded for her but I am not ready or even wanting to upgrade to a larger tank. Do any of you have any really good recommendations for a heater? Most of you say to get an adjustable heater and I have looked at the mini's that are flat and they say they only raise the temp up a few degrees from the room temp. Actually most of the small tank heaters say the same thing. My house doesn't get above 68 degrees most days of the winter, we just wear more clothes! So that would make her tank no warmer then say 75 degrees.

I need some advice please. She is so pretty and so active and healthy, I really don't want anything to happen to her that could be avoidable!

Admittedly I got her because my roommate is not into parakeets, which is what I really want. But I have had fish a long time ago and really liked having them and thought how hard can this. If this turns out to be a success, maybe I can show her that having a parakeet wouldn't be too demanding either. But what I am learning is that parakeets for me would be easier to take care of!

I haven't even named her yet, I am still calling her girly girl. That is not a name. I am trying to get my roommate more involved and keep asking her to help me name her. She calls her Ms. B.

I don't want to appear to be a bad betta owner, I do love her and want to make her tank as wonderful for her as I can. Please help me give her a great life.

A BIG thank you everyone!

Here is the tank picture...remember the filter is behind the colorful decoration...(hope this works)
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #2 
Lisa1010

I have another question, I have 2 plants and am thinking of adding another behind the terracotta pot. I would like a taller one this time. But along the same lines as I don't want to crowd the tank would it be a good idea and if so can you recommend a tall plant that has little to no maintenance please?

Thanks again!

Lisa

Here is a thumbnail of the tank in case you want to make it bigger...well, at least I think you can make thumbnails bigger. (well, I guess you can't make thumbnails bigger!)
Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Hi :)

1. You're spot on in your observation, lol. I think I could dump my whole container of food in my tank and they would try to eat it all...they are super pigs! Their stomachs are the size of their eye approx., so most of us feed them twice a day, 3-6 pellets. I don't really think you need to be strict about it...some days I have early morning class so I only feed my bettas once a day when I get home, some days I can feed them twice a day...
Fasting is a good idea too, so keep that up.

2. Not really sure about the filter, sorry. I usually don't filter my tanks smaller than 5 g so maybe someone who filters their smaller tanks can help out with that.

3. Bettas need a day/night cycle just like us, so at night if she has a light you should turn it off. A little bit of light won't bother her (I...always sleep with a dimmed light in my room where most of my bettas are). Using a light to heat isn't the best idea because it's not very reliable. It doesn't provide a stable temperature, especially if you have to turn it off at night.

4. A heater is much more reliable. MOST of the mall preset ones you find only raise the room temp a few degrees...the Tetra heaters at Walmart are quite good for smaller tanks though! Lol I tell this to everyone who asks...I swear by these things, I've actually had very little luck with heaters but these ones are pretty cheap and always give me good results! (In smaller tanks anyway...they don't seem to do well in anything bigger than 3 gallons...)

Otherwise seems like you're doing just fine. Good luck with your girly. :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #4 
Lisa1010

Thank you Jupiter, I feel better believing I am doing something right!

I saw today at Meijer's the Tetra heaters for just under $16. I wonder if they are cheaper at Walmart. I will have a look.

I also have another question...yes, I have loads of them stored up or they just keep coming out when I see something or someone mentions something!

About changing the water...since my tank is "filtered", how much of a water change is necessary and how many times a week or month?

Before the filter I was changing the water completely once a week and washing the tank and gravel and plants and decorations and moss ball. That was a lot of work but if it makes her healthy I will do it. But what about the good bacteria? Am I washing it off or does it matter if it is there or not?

Can I put a snail in with her and if so what would it eat?

Thanks again!

Lisa
Old 10-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #5 
Jupiter

The larger ones are $16, the smaller ones (I believe either the HT 10 or 30) are $11 at Walmart. We don't have Meijers here so I don't know, I can't compare prices.

Good bacteria is really only something you need to worry about if your tank is cycled. Again, not sure since I don't filter my smaller tanks.

I do 100% changes once a week (like you said, take everything out and wash it) plus a 50% (just changing half the water and removing poop/other gunk) and I top off whatever's evaporated in between.

I think your tank is the perfect size for your betta, but it's too small to add anything else.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #6 
Lisa1010

Thanks again Jupiter! I won't add anything else to the tank but the heater. Just not certain where I will put it so that the tank doesn't look to crowded. Can I put a heater on the right side wall or is that too near the thermometer and would make me think the water was warmer then it really is? Or I could put it behind that decoration close to the filter but then would it mess up the filter, or I could put it over by the plants but I don't want to kill them. Ugh.....

Thank again!

Lisa
Old 10-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #7 
Jupiter

I don't really think it would make a difference where you put it. Well, I know for sure it won't mess up your filter or your plants. :)
Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #8 
Lisa1010

Thanks again! I will just have to put it in and see what happens! If I get to nervous, can I just bring her to you?!

She is a beautiful purple/blue that shines kinda green when the light shines on her, crowntail! And she LOVES people. She is so friendly! How did I get so blessed with her!

Lisa
Old 10-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #9 
Freyja
Banned

About the heater placement, just make sure it doesnt touch any decorations or the gravel. I have that same tank for my daughter's VT. It has no filter and like Jupiter I do one 50% water change on Wednesday and one 100% water change on Saturday to include gravel rinsing as well.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #10 
Jupiter

LOL yes feel free to bring her over...I just love CT girls but they are impossible to find here!