Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #11 
Laki

Peta does not contribute anything good to society. It just brainwashes people into becoming sheep to generate their income.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Aggreed also they throw paint on the elderly/ toddlers they hate autistics and aquarist.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #13 
tpocicat

Another example of PETA trying to spread their insanity to the rest of the world.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

We fish IEPs are brighter than PETA ever will and they are jealous we also pay for our hobby ourselves and not lying.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #15 
MsGita

They were actually more accurate then they usually are. And that's saying a lot for PETA. When they say 95% are caught wild they are refering to marine fish not bettas or all tropical fish. It is true that the majority of marine fish are caught wild.
And yes there are fish that use tools for catching prey or protection. Some fish have been observed using rocks to crack open shellfish.

I'm no fan of PETA but I don't see any information there that is so horrible. They encourage you to have the biggest tank you can, treat your tap water, test your aquarium water, have a filter and heater....that's not such a bad thing.

Am I missing something?
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They said most and tried to make fish look like creatures who build structures and use complex communication. I do not believe fish gel happy and sad but I feel fish can feel stress and depression. I am pretty sure they had a picture of a goldfish there.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #17 
MsGita

I guess we just see the article differently. Oh well :)
Yes the picture was of goldfish, goldfish were mentioned but the whole article wasn't about goldfish.
There is so much bad info out there that I just feel this is positive in comparison.
MsGita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #18 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecrets View Post
"Most fish enjoy companionship. If you have a single fish, check with friends and neighbors to find another loner to adoptóbut don't support the fish trade by going to a dealer."

You know, just any fish will do XD Oh PETA, all your good points are always drowned in stupid.
No kidding! This actually had a good message, but because PETA is ... well being a P.I.T.A (pain in the--you figure it out), that good message gets lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Some of the betta species I keep are essentially nearly extinct in the wild. This is not due to capture for the aquarium trade but is rather the result of habitat destruction.

Without hobbyist breeding programs, these species would most likely disappear for good.
Axolotls and the Tequila splitfin (Zoogoneticus tequila) are two others that come to mind. Both have horribly dwindled wild populations but are kept alive by the aquarium trade. Who knows. They may be reintroduced to the wild one day when their habitat recovers.

Which brings me to the subject of conservation aquaculture. There are a few programs around the US that focus on/practice this. The aim is to produce enough offspring to keep the population afloat while the habitat problems are resolved. But I guess PETA is against this, too, because it involves animals in captivity.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGita View Post
I guess we just see the article differently. Oh well :)
Yes the picture was of goldfish, goldfish were mentioned but the whole article wasn't about goldfish.
There is so much bad info out there that I just feel this is positive in comparison.
Putting a goldfish in a tropical thing is wrong and they should have clled it saltwater. Getting your fish from a neighbor is still supporting pet stores they make it sound like all fish are compatible with each other. In another article they said bettas need ten gallon miniumum I keep mine in a ten gallon but hardly consider a miniumum.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Could not find the tequila splitzen for sale. Aren't anoxtils a salamander. Many betta species and ameca splendens are helped by the hobby sadly ameca splendens are decreasing in popularity and still low in the wild.